Seam sealer or carpet glue ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
I am cleaning out the interior of the '75 to paint and there is this thick rope of sealer on the corner of the floor/rocker panel and other places. It comes off with a flat edged tool quite easily.

Is this seem seler or carpet glue ? Should I replace it or can just leave it be..it almost looks like a water trap to me. Whom ever was doing it, wasn't taking a lot of care.

Thanks
Ian.

hey grassy how have you been?

does the goop look factory? as if it was to seal pannels? the factory goop should be seam sealer and if its factory should be the color the floor is

Hey :)

Moving slowly but still in the right direction. No call from the wife to sell it as an unfinished project...yet. This summer was brutal with the heat / humidity.

The goop was black but it had a coat of faun (car colour) over it. The job was thoroughy but done quickly ( saw how they build travel trailers last year so i shouldn't complain). It looks original..not sure if anyone has had the carpets off before however, neat and tidy wouldn't be the first words to my mind :) Oh, I should mention that it crosses the car on the hump that the back seat is on. Did the interior floor come in two pieces perhaps ?

Does this help ?

I am without camera..daughter took it to university this year..have to buy another..

ian.

this is seam sealer

Not quite the same lines but it looks the same. Was surprised how think it was in some places.

Does it lock out leaks or sound or what is it's purpose ?

thanks
Ian.

yup seam sealer. Keeps moisture from getting in between panels. They put it on fast and thick. The carpets were not glued down at all.

Mine came off really easy too. I think you need it. The joints in the car are overlapped and spot welded together, but they're not water tight.

Thanks all.

No, they are not water tight.

Can I paint then put a new coat of this stuff down ? Any recommendations ?

Ian.

Where can I buy this seam sealer or is there an alternative product that is equally as good. Would Chrysler stock this stuff ?

Thanks
Ian.

-
Back