Seam Sealer

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about
3M™ Scotch-Seal™ Metal Sealant 2084, I was thinking of use it as seam sealer. I can get a couple can free, and it looks like it might work pretty good. Thought I would find out you you guys know about

I just touched up my trunk with seam sealer. I'm forgot the brand but could check. I got it at a local auto paint supply. It is supposed to be paintable but I still got it in black in case it chips off.

Im not sure about that specific seam sealer but we use 3m at my work, we always prime the area first though then put the seam sealer down, that way if for some reason moisture gets under it, or it cracks you wont just hold moisture on bare metal, this is how the factory did it and under almost all seam sealer ive seen its rusty.

Read the directions on the tube and see if it will work for what you want to do.

Good luck:-D

I have'nt used the 3m but I used a product from Dominion that was a similar brushable seam sealer. I used some cheap home depot 2" paint brushes that I cut down to about 1 1/2" length and worked very well. I applied over the primer and painted over. looks great.

When I put seam sealer on, I put it directly on the metal. The paint supply said this and also it looked like the factory did that as well when I pulled up some of the old seam sealer. It probably wont make that big of a difference. It prob depends on the kind you use. Mine was in a calk cartridge.

The stuff I use is 3M Dripcheck sealer....same stuff as used in factories....and is paintable. It is a greeny-grey colour.

When I put seam sealer on, I put it directly on the metal. The paint supply said this and also it looked like the factory did that as well when I pulled up some of the old seam sealer. It probably wont make that big of a difference. It prob depends on the kind you use. Mine was in a calk cartridge.

I would never put seam sealer over bare metal, you may end up with rust , I always apply it over primed surface.

OP, 3M makes a very nice seam sealer 08300 Ultra-Pro , easy to work with ,stays flexible.Whatever you do, stay away from Fast n Firm by 3M, it's junk, will crack within a year.

I found a tube of 3M Drip Chek sealer today while I was having a clean up....so I took a pic of it to show. Part # is 1918.

IMGP5224.jpg

-
Back