Seam Sealer

-

A/B Mopar

Reaction score
For you experienced people out there...some of my seam sealer is cracked, but it is still stuck on good with no rust. Do I need to remove the cracked sealer or can I just put new sealer over the old to fill in the cracks?? It is in the trunk/rear area. Thanks in advance.

How fussy are you...i know guys that remove all but a tiny bit because they want it to look better?
I'd remove and replace it properly if it's deteriorated.

The tough part is when mine is been cracked it is because of light to heavy rust underneath the seam sealer or body twist from loose or rotted panels. I’ve not seen it crack just for giggles. If you remove it, and want it looking factory it will be tough to do. I never seem to be able to match up what I took off. Mostly because I am sober and the original installers possibly were not. Lol. Maybe some pictures?
Good luck either way.

I have to redo the sealer I put in Vixen's drip rails. It cracked too and I don't know why. It didn't crack anywhere else, just there.

3M all around auto body sealer. Yes can go right over the top as long as it is not rusted beneath.

Layout a bead and a quick wet finger to smooth it out to look nice. Can paint it the next day.

☆☆☆☆☆

I'm going with Lord Fusor next.

If its cracked then moisture could have gotten in. I would remove it with a heat gun and narrow plastic or wood scraper. Clean up the rust underneath, Treat it with rust inhibitor and re seam seal it

3M all around auto body sealer. Yes can go right over the top as long as it is not rusted beneath.

Layout a bead and a quick wet finger to smooth it out to look nice. Can paint it the next day.

☆☆☆☆☆
Thanks for the responses.

-
Back