Seam sealer

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just put don a coat of por 15 on the bottom and inside of my dodge demon, now I'm putting on the sean sealer. My question is do you seam seal every joint like where the frame rails met the floors and so on. If not what do you use. I plan on useing trunk bed liner on the bottom and wheel wells.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

I did not use seam sealer where the frame rails were welded to the floor. I used seam sealer wherever the sheet metal overlapped and would allow water to enter the inside of the car or trunk. As an example, around the rear wheel well where the quarter panel is attached. I painted the bottom of my car. If you are using a truck bed liner, that would be fine.
C

DCP_2576.jpg

I also only use it where metal overlapped, not on the frame rails to the body.
The wheel wells on this car will be undercoated.

IMG_1793.jpg

While we are on the subject, I need to find factory style seam sealer. I think the original stuff was brushed on? Anyways any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Try Eastwood, they have a great brush on product. It's so easy to use.

Rick

Just use it on the overlaps as Clhyer said.

Im more curious if anything sticks to that Por15 stuff.

Yes no problems so far. When I'm ready to apply the truck bed liner i will sand it with 120mgrit to rough it up and it will work very well. No problems I think

You don't have to order that seam sealer from Eastwood ... I had my local NAPA dealer order it and saved about fifteen bucks (including the shipping). The manager told me most NAPA dealers keep it in stock but my store was a smaller one.

I used a big parts washing brush to apply it just where the metal overlaps as indicated in previous replies. The stuff contains several ketones (MEK being one of them) so it's LETHAL! Only use it outside or with plenty of fresh air ventilation ... it's not something you will want to do inside a closed garage, believe me.

I also tried the truck bed liner inside my trunk a few years ago but regretted it. Despite thorough prep, the stuff lifted and peeled (and ate / disintegrated several foam applicators within a few minutes of use, leaving little chunks of styro buried in the liner that required tweezers to remove [don't sacrifice your needle nose pliers LOL]). My trunk is now coated with POR-15. I considered the truck bed liner a $50/gallon experiment that failed miserably. Other opinions may vary. :-D

Best of luck with the project! Keep us informed on your progress.

P.S. Edit Afterthought ... I like your screen name. Very original. ;-)

I would think twice before you use bedliner material on your car, it is hard to get off if need be and if you ever need to do any welding it will catch fire. I know a few body men and they told me if a truck comes in with a spray in or painted in bedliner and needs welding on the bed, they pass on it and tell the owner to go some where else.

Thanx for the info, I just hope that mine will look as good as yours

-
Back