Seam Sealing Doors

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I have completed all the seam sealing on my project with the exception of the b-pillars and doors. I didn't take this car apart, so I don't know what was there to begin with. Were the outer seams on the doors treated with seam sealer? Seems like they should be, but my service manual doesn't show any application on the Dart models. Thanks!

Jim

Check in the FSM,

ALSO Faxon sells the book with the factory sealer locations.

year and body style (2 dr HT, sedan, etc.). I might be able to scan the Faxon pics for your car if I have that year.

Check in the FSM,

ALSO Faxon sells the book with the factory sealer locations.

If FSM=Factory Service Manual, that is the manual that I referred to in the initial post. It covers locations in the floor trunk and roof, but no doors. Thanks for the tip on the Faxon book.

As mentioned before Faxon reproduces factory assembly manuals that were only used in the factory during assembly. They have a treasure trove of information. You can find this one on Amazon or Ebay motors: 1970-1971 Plymouth & Dodge Electrical & Body Assembly Manual Dart & Valiant. It is 383 pages of diagrams and instructions, specific to these cars. I will scan a few pages specific to your car. Your body style (2 door Hardtop is referred to as "Model 23". You will find most diagrams noted as to body style (for example... " Model 23 & 29"), and if there is no style indicated it applies to all A-bodies. I'm not sure how extensive the work done to your B pillar (sometimes referred to as "Lock pillar". There is a brazed and ground seam in the rocker panel right under the B pillar. If you need that info just ask. Most of the sealing in the B pillar and door are from behind in the seams in the "Deadener & Silencer" section. If you open your trunk and look at the inside of the quarter panels you should see rough material like undercoat sprayed there. This is sprayed inside the B pillar and inside the door and seals the inside of body seams. It also is what keeps your car from sounding like an empty tin can. There is sealer where the quarter is welded to the lock pillar inside the door jamb. For each page there is a locator schematic with letters in boxes and then detailed schematics labelled with the letters. Scans to follow.

you know about the clear plastic sheets on the surface of the inside of the doors, right? They are tucked into a slot at the bottom of the door so water inside the door drains out the bottom of the inside of the door. Lack of these sheets will assure that your interior door upholstered panels are trash in no time.

71 Dart Manual Cover.jpg

71 dart scan 1.jpg
71 dart scan 2.jpg

probably better to send these attached to an e-mail. Send PM with e-mail address

-
Back