seat belt cleaning

-

zoltan c

65Fish
Reaction score
Has anyone here figured out a good way to clean up mouldy seat belts without bleaching or affecting the color? I was thinking of dropping them in a bucket with water and oxy clean to see if they can be saved. Any info would be great.

I have put a set in a lingerie bag in the washer before. And the lingerie bag was the wifes not mine. But she didn't like it when she opened the washer. Just make sure and service the buckles if you can't remove them.

I cleaned a set in a bucket of warm water and simple green.
Worked very well.

In the 1974 Dodge Body Service Manual it says " The webbing used in belts may be cleaned with a hydrocarbon dry cleaner and with soap or detergent in water. Avoid getting dry cleaners or water solutions into the buckle mechanism where they may attack the lubricant or cause corrosion. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BLEACH OR RE-DYE BELTS. Resulting color may rub off and webbing strength could be affected." Word up. That's what Ma Mopar says to do. Ray

Abbotsford, been there before. Grandmother, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, from Custer, Ferndale, Maple Falls. Dad was born at Pt. Roberts. Have to cross the border twice to get there. Small world.

I did this on a 70 charger i had ,worked excellent they came back like new beleive me.Roll them all up in ball buy enough varsol to go over the top , place them in a bucket , leave them four a couple of days take them out then pressure wash each one with a good degreaser to take away the smell and let the dry , sounds like a recipe i know, but it makes them as soft and clean as the belts in a new car . Rick L.

kt340sport said:
I did this on a 70 charger i had ,worked excellent they came back like new beleive me.Roll them all up in ball buy enough varsol to go over the top , place them in a bucket , leave them four a couple of days take them out then pressure wash each one with a good degreaser to take away the smell and let the dry , sounds like a recipe i know, but it makes them as soft and clean as the belts in a new car . Rick L.

I'll have to try this, it sound good to me! :lol:

I think I will try this method also. A search for Varsol turns up a product that comes in many different grades. I have no knowledge of this product, does it matter which grade I use? thanx

I clean cars for a living , almost 25 years now this is how i clean any thing that is stained bad or hardened from years of wraped up under seats, you get a stain on a cloth seat or carpet keep varsol in a spray bottle spray it on and wipe off , use another cleaner to take away the smell.Also try it on tar sometime you will not use anything else again to take tar off. Thanks Rick L.

I tossed my in the washing maching at work. They came out pretty good.

I usually re-dye mine with RIT. I bought an old ceramic crock pot at GoodWill for $3 specifically for dying stuff. Just toss them in and make some stew.

But, I know how to get them real clean too. My first step in dyeing is to boil them with regular dish soap. This gets out all the really nasty stuff. It usually takes 2 attempts before the water stops turning black.

Johnny Dart said:
I cleaned a set in a bucket of warm water and simple green.
Worked very well.

I've never heard ov Varsol before, will have to look into that product. But I can tell ya that Simple Green is a great product and is viromentally friendly, I know it will not hurt your paint whatsoever and still cleans tough road film from your car. I've been told you can drink the stuff and even though it taste awfull it will not hurt you or poisin you. I'll just take their word for it. :thumbup:

-
Back