Seat Belt Help

-

71Dartman440

Kansas440
Reaction score
Anyone have specifics on 1971 Dart seat belts?

Can someone help describe what I'd need to order
- i.e.....
- How many belts do I need?
- Required lengths?
- Recommended source to purchase from?

Note: I'm a bit confused by the 3-point retractable belts you see on-line. I've got a two-door coupe. Was this style belt part of a 71 Dart Swinger configuration?

Reason I'm asking is I've got a box of mis-matched belts that may or may-not have been in the car so basically starting with nothing.
Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated 8)

The original '71 belts are an uncomfortable, not very effective, damnuisance mess: three straps and five latch buckles crapping up the front seat.

I used to recommend retrofitting 4-point Wesco belts as I did on my '71, but not any more (the article is correct in its facts and physics, and everything said about 5-point harnesses is equally true of the 4-point variety, except the injuries that a 5-point can do to your 'nads).

When I get rid of the separate shoulder straps in my '73, I'm putting in these up-to-date, reputable-brand ECE-approved 3-point seat belts (linked vendor is reliable; I've been buying there for a decade). The 514-30 can be installed in cars without a B-pillar (such as a Barracuda or a Duster). More info on mounting at the maker's website. If I needed mounting hardware, I'd buy it again from Wesco, but the Securon belts are a much better product than anything Wesco carries.

I bought and installed the XV Motorsports ones in the front, which is a bucket seat and center console setup, and they've been great. They're a three point retractable, and are so much better than the separate lap and shoulder belts we had originally in these cars.

-
Back