Seat Belt Light Hole in Standard Dash -- Anybody done anything interesting with it?

-

vames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm cosmetically reconditioning the standard dash in my 72 Swinger.

Everything works -- ammeter, gas gauge, temp gauge, speedo, brake & oil dummy lights, and the light and wiper switches -- except for the 1" round seat belt light below the gas gauge. And I'm not going to be restoring its functionality.

I can certainly just leave the red Fasten Seat Belt lens there with no bulb behind it. But I'm also intrigued by the idea of putting another tiny gauge (vacuum? oil pressure? voltmeter? clock?) in the spot if I can make it look plausibly from 1972. It doesn't look like there are many 1" gauges, so it's probably not going to happen. But I just want to check to see if anybody has ever put anything cool (and passably original looking) in this hole.

Take your pick:
1696012412205.png

2pc Universal Car Cigarette Lighter Cover Cap Fire Missile/Eject Button Aluminum | eBay

A few things going through my head & haven't tried yet.
A bright red shift light.
Make it a hidden in plain sight push button to ground a relay to let the key cylinder crank starter.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ejector button is cool (though a bit goofy) but it opens up the idea of what kind of other cig-lighter-covers are out there.

Shift light may be cool for some with more stout cars, but not for my stock-ish 72 Swinger/318 2bbl/904/7.25 driver.

An extra security measure for starting the car is intriguing as well.

I've looked long and hard at any gauges that might work in a 1" hole but there is really nothing. I don't want to cut the thing up to make more space for a 2 1/16".

For now, it looks like it's going to be a fully original non-functioning seat belt warning light.

-
Back