Seat foam & cover interchangability on 73 Dart Sport seats

-

Lonewolf3165

Living the Dream!
Reaction score
I have a set of '73 Dart sport seats that I got from a local guy & they need total restoration. I would like to know if anybody knows if or has done it, but I'd like to change the seat foam & covers to match the earlier seats from a '71 or ,'72. I need to know if the seat frames are the same for a '73 as a '71 or '72 or if they can be made to work with the earlier seat foam & covers. They look similar when they are all together but just different enough that I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

I am aware that all the floor sections are the same , so i would say there would be different markings or dimples in the floor area , whether buckets, or bench.

I would think that the bottoms would be the same but the backs may be different. I don't know if they actually changed the frames when they switched from hard back to soft back or if they just changed the covers. Might help if you took the covers and foam off and saw what you have to work with. Maybe post some pics of them too. Good luck with it.

I am going down the same road.

I have a 1972 Duster with later 1973 & Up bucket seats.

I was thinking of having an upholstery shop add a vinyl panel to the 72 seat cover back...so i wouldn't have to worry about/use the hard plastic back panel.

To me it looks like if you use the proper foam it would work.

If you look at a 1972 bucket seats and compare to the later buckets the seat covers seem to have similar lines.

The 1970 & 1971 seats seem to have a much different sewing pattern...so you would need to use that foam with those seat covers.

Seems like the seat frames are close enough in size and shape (if not the same), that even if the factory foam didn't work, that an upholstery shop could custom make the foam if necessary.

There is a shop on Craigslist (local to me), they seem to do a lot of Mopar upholstery work...they might be able to answer the question. Be warned, these guys aren't cheap...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/pts/3204932128.html

I thought to buy the covers for my Duster first then worry about the foam situation until after I have tried the covers on my existing seats.

But I haven't been able to save up enough money...life keeps getting in the way and my money goes other places.

Paul

-
Back