Seat Latch Release Knob Install

-

Daves69

Reaction score
'69 Barracuda buckets. Replacement YO Seat Latch Release Knob.
I'm thinking the retainer clip goes on the latch stem first then the knob over it?
Yes, no, maybe?

TIA

One would think, maybe not.
Everything else on these cars was clip in the knob first, but who knows.

When I did mine the retainer was in the knob and I just popped them on.

Everything else on these cars was clip in the knob first, but who knows.
Exactly why I ask the experience here.
.............retainer was in the knob and I just popped them on
This was what I had heard and thought was "the way".

Overly concerned maybe, but I just don't want to destroy one of these to find out. And here's why....
The knob hole depth is deeper than the stop by an 1/8" or so.
If the clip is in knob first can/will the clip slide back too far in the hole to make the detents?
If the clip is on the stem first am I going to split the knob open? No way it's going to just
"pop" on like this.
seats4.gif

I think on that I might feel safer putting the clip on first so it can get down in those ridges first so it doesn't stress the knob as much going on?

I think on that I might feel safer putting the clip on first so it can get down in those ridges first so it doesn't stress the knob as much going on?
It's a done deal. I did put the clip on first and used a dead blow to knock the knob on. They never made it to what I called the "stop" in the picture above though. I stopped tapping on the first one and looking at the second I did notice the hole is tapered. I'm thinking if I had kept banging on it I could have split the knob. They are definitely tight on the stem.
This is where they actually stopped...........

seats5.gif

It's a done deal. I did put the clip on first and used a dead blow to knock the knob on. They never made it to what I called the "stop" in the picture above though. I stopped tapping on the first one and looking at the second I did notice the hole is tapered. I'm thinking if I had kept banging on it I could have split the knob. They are definitely tight on the stem.
This is where they actually stopped...........

Looks on there right to me, and I'm sure you are right about stopping there as I think the rounded edges are just part of the lever design and not an actual stop.

-
Back