**Seat Paint?? What are you using?**

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
I am going to be pulling the bench seat and installing some Racing/Sport Seats.

I am trying to match my interior color I have now. It seems to have 2 Colors. The outside is green and the inserts have some flake.

Where can I find this paint for either Vinyl or Simulated Leather?

Next question….. Does it wear well?

View attachment Roger's car pic 20.jpg

This one is Vinyl and the only color it comes in.

View attachment SUM-G1136R_SN_ml.jpg

This one is Simulated Leather and comes in 3 Diff colors. Black, Beige and Light Grey

View attachment sum-g1159-2_w_ml.jpg

Check with Marhyde, last I heard they'll send you a color chart for free.

If they have your color, I HIGHLY recommend their Vinyl Dye (spray cans). I've used that stuff for years on my vehicles and no other interior dyes came close in my opinion. Did a lot of the interior in my 74 with it, as well as the door panels in my D50 too.

The 74 parts were dyed/painted with Marhyde in 2005-2006. I drove it all the time until 2011, always exposed to sunlight. Never faded or lifted.

Painted the Door Panels for my D50 with the same stuff in 09 or so. It gets used as a daily driver. I even kick my boots against the door panels to knock mud & snow off of them, and it hasn't even phased the dyed panels.

Check with Marhyde, last I heard they'll send you a color chart for free.

If they have your color, I HIGHLY recommend their Vinyl Dye (spray cans). I've used that stuff for years on my vehicles and no other interior dyes came close in my opinion. Did a lot of the interior in my 74 with it, as well as the door panels in my D50 too.

The 74 parts were dyed/painted with Marhyde in 2005-2006. I drove it all the time until 2011, always exposed to sunlight. Never faded or lifted.

Painted the Door Panels for my D50 with the same stuff in 09 or so. It gets used as a daily driver. I even kick my boots against the door panels to knock mud & snow off of them, and it hasn't even phased the dyed panels.

Great info…. Now next question is where do I find it? I just did a search and I can't find much.

Do you have a link?

SEM should have the color you need and it wears very well I have done a few interiors with it in the past. Also on here I have a how to a friend wrote on successfully dying interior parts. Biggest thing is clean clean clean for a successful treatment

Thanks for the info guys!

I will start the research tomorrow by calling. If it gets too expensive or labor intense. I will just have them Re covered. Will weigh the options and make a decision.

Also most automotive paint stores can custom tint SEM to match what you are looking for.

Herb's Parts also has their own line of interior paints. They have a large selection of correct colors. I used SEM Landau Black for my interior pieces but if I was doing another color, I'd look at Herb's.

Just got off the phone with a San Diego SEM Dealer.

Color Match is $65.00
1 Court Regular. $85.00
1 Quart with flake to match inserts $85.00

Time & Labor………. It is looking like a Recovering will be more cost effective. But as you know along with that comes finding the correct material & color. I guess I drop them off at the upholstery shop and it is not my problem anymore….. Until they come back the wrong color…… Lol

Marhyde, Sem and other dyes work well, yet on seating where your body constantly comes in contact, things will be different, just like what happens to steering wheels which are dyed with aftermarket dyes, it wears away..

I've used SEM and Herbs vinyl paint/dyes from spray cans with great results.
I think Herbs stuff wears better. Wish I knew where he got it.

-
Back