seatbelt swap?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
buddy of mine is lookin into gettin a 74 duster or 75 dart sport. from my knowldge, they both have the lap-shoulder combo seatbelts. is there a way to swap to lap belts like a 70 dart/duster? is it legal? thanks

It shouldn't be difficult to do, but from my understanding it is not legal to go backwards on safety equipment. If it didn't come with seat belts (or shoulder belts, or turn signals, or third break light, etc.) you don't have to add them, but if it did, it's illegal to remove them. All state/local laws are a little differant, but I think this is universal.

The next question is, is it worth it? The shoulder belts are there for a reason. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but If I'm in a collision, I don't want my head/upper body slammed into the dash. I try to encourage people to swap in newer, retractable 3-point belts. If you are willing to put in a sub and new stereo, why not something that could save your life? Sorry about the rant, this is one of my "trigger" issues. I'd never tell anyone how to build their car, I just don't want to see anyone hurt or killed if it is avoidable.

buddy of mine is lookin into gettin a 74 duster or 75 dart sport. from my knowldge, they both have the lap-shoulder combo seatbelts. is there a way to swap to lap belts like a 70 dart/duster?
Yes. Must use complete set at each position. Newer buckle will not lock up to older blade, and vice versa.

is it legal?
Nope. It would be a violation of federal motor vehicle codes. Even though the US gubmit does not inspect individual vehicles, some states do. The '73 made it through a state inspection without having the shoulder belt installed. (A unibelt has since been installed. It is a much better system, IMO).

-
Back