Seems a little slow...

-
ligthen the car it will help everything it will help the converter

Put the 750 back on with the four hole spacer and work with the carb.
You have a good converter and enough gear to run the bigger carb.
You lost 4 mile an hour with the 650 carb.
I would put the pinion snubber a half inch from the floor so it works.
The weight of the car gets pushed up, by the snubber hitting the floor when you take off from the line.
You want that snubber to stay in contact with the floor as long as possible.
Making the snubber closer keeps the two working together.
This is what pushes the tires into the ground for traction.
I think the only problem you had, was the 60 foot times needed to be improved.
Get the right set up into the 750 carb and keep the snubber close to the floor.

Okay, so I just got back from the track. I didn't uncork the exhaust tonight because I didn't want to fight with getting it put back on in the dark.

Here are the changes I made prior to going to the track:
Swapped the 650 DP back on
Lowered the pinion snubber 1" so it's 1.5" off of the floor
Pulled the Mallory 110 pump off and put on a 140 + regulator right next to the carb...set for 7.5 psi

Here's the best time slip of the night

60': 1.918
330': 5.660
1/8 ET: 8.763
1/8 MPH: 79.46
1000': 11.452
1/4 ET: 13.736
1/4 MPH: 98.65

The fuel pressure now dips just below 7 psi going through the traps and the RPM is right at 5800 to 5900. I'm still running the Action + intake and this is with the exhaust on, so I figure that it should run low 13.6 to high 13.5 with open pipes, as I picked up .15 last time dropping the pipes.

Any thoughts? I didn't get an opportunity to mess with the squirters or cams (running the blues in #2 front and back), or try clamping the leaf springs. Those would be my next steps.

Okay, I just looked at your original post. It looks like you picked up more than a tenth in the sixty foot, which is close to what you should be running with the E.T. you are running. I expect the car goes fast with the exhaust uncorked, so I think the MPH is down due to the exhaust being on. I think you also lost mph when you went to the dual plane intake. Am I correct there? Also how were the weather conditions, was it hotter than the night you ran your best? I think your on to something and are moving in the right direction. You may want to try and build a better exhaust for it so that you dont need to hassle with uncorking it. Besides if you dont put an 18 inch extension on the header then you loose power. I know your getting a bunch of advice but I admire the methodical process you are approaching this with. If your still willing to try some new things I have some more ideas that are cheap to fix. First off someone mentioned advancing the cam, which I tried once and my sixties improved greatly, but my car had the nitrous converter in it and needed the extra grunt. So I have tried it on other motors and ALL of them picked up E.T. The next thing I would do is go back to the Torker, which is a good intake. Then I would play with the carb and wait for better weather. I think as the weather cools, you will be surprised how much it has picked up with the changes. Leave that 650 dp on it, its working better with the combo you have. I think your motor is very healthy, it wouldn't repeat good numbers over and over if it was hurt. This car runs hard for a street 318. Good job.

Yet another update...

I've been a little slow getting this posted, but I ran it last Friday with a set of freshly installed cutouts so I don't have to fight with the pipes any more. Nothing else on the car was changed. The air was definitely better than it had been, a lot less humidity, but still in the low 80s/high 70s.

First run out, with the pipes capped:
60': 1.915
330': 5.636
1/8 ET: 8.708
1/8 MPH: 80.37
1000': 11.367
1/4 ET: 13.618
1/4 MPH: 100.26

Back in the triple digits for mph, I was psyched. So I opened it up...here's the best run of the night:
60': 1.885
330': 5.565
1/8 ET: 8.617
1/8 MPH: 80.88
1000': 11.262
1/4 ET: 13.501
1/4 MPH: 100.62

The best 60' of the night was a 1.873, but I couldn't seem to break into the 13.40s. On the way home, I found that my alternator had come loose at some point during the night. The belt was still in the grooves, but it wasn't charging.

The mph didn't increase as much as I thought it should with the pipes open and re-jetting didn't change things. I'm guessing that it's running out of manifold at this point and I probably ought to save for a Perf RPM.

On a side note, I'd recommend the cutouts to anyone. Capped up, the car has less drone cruising at 2500 rpm and they only take a couple of minutes to open and close.:thumblef:

Try some 12 or even 18" collectors on the open headers for low end torque.

Also my low compression .484 cammed 8:1 small block likes to leave from about 1200 rpm. It seems to hit the suspension and converter harder this way and helps the 60 foot. My car weighs 3400# with me in it.

-
Back