Self Storage Facilities

-

APK

Reaction score
Does anyone use a self storage site to keep their car at because they don't have room to store it at home. I don't mean winter storage but daily storage.

What are things to consider when selecting a storage site?

What is your routine when you need to get your car? Is close enough to walk, ride a bike, scooter, drive your daily drive and storage there while you take you mopar out?

I am maybe looking to get another car, but the garage at home is full. I know it would take extra effort to have to drive to the storage site (which is close) to get the car leave my daily driver in the storage and then switch back when done. But that looks to be my only option. No room to build another garage and can't afford to move.

Thanks for your replies.

I would strongly recommend desiccant bags. Several of them! Found out first hand when I stored mine. The humidity they hold is unbelievable if it's not a controlled climate.

A few things to consider-

Most places will want proof of registration and insurance.

They will also likely have you sign a "standard" insurance clause that says that the value of any item in storage is less than $5000, and possibly provide them a copy of any policy you have and the value stated in the policy if it appears to be a high dollar or collector car.

They will also very likely strictly prohibit any maintenance of any kind on your vehicle while it is in storage.

I had a project car stored for almost a year at the somewhat modest rate of $80 a month. I quickly realized that at $960 dollars a year, I couldn't afford NOT to build some type of additional garage or carport at my house.

This particular facility was a one man operation, and they had virtually no regulation as to what could be/could not be done there. You may get lucky and find one of those, if you intend to do any work, but be advised that any damage caused by another tenant (as they too have no or limited regulation) will be a nightmare to resolve.

This story does have a happy ending, as I ended up buying that storage facility (for a very attractive price) about two years after I moved my car back home to my $5K Carolina Carport "pole garage" (or about 5 years worth of storage fees).

I did impose regulations, and the $5K max value clause, but I advertize on my business card "Project Car Friendly", and have carefully worded my rental agreement to try to let people enjoy "at will" light repair on their vehicles.

Around here the storage facilities require all flammable and toxic liquids be drained from the car if stored indoors. If it sits outside then you're good.

It's an insurance policy thing.

My dad used a place that was family owned and didn't care that he was storing a running driving vehicle there.

One thing to consider is the gate hours. Most places can override access- and the place down the street let my dad access early am in case he had to pull it out for a show, and allowed him to get in until 10pm (typical gate hours were 7-7 or something)

I stored my basket case there, and due to a long commute I was granted late access since I didn't get home until 7pm- the extra hours were nice, otherwise I would have only been able to get in on the weekends.

Have you ever considered building one of the larger sheds in your yard? They are build them just bug enough for a car to be put in, but since it is technically a shed you can side step a lot of the build code issues that would typically come up.

http://www.shedsunlimited.net/SingleCarGarages.html

You can get into something like this for about $3500 for the small one... after a couple years at a storage facility you are ahead of the game.

I forgot to mention my 5K "carport" was 30x26, and had sides and gable ends plus 120MPH wind rating, so yeah, a one car or one car plus would be A LOT cheaper!

The same company offers a basic 15x12 with no sides for $700.

Material for the sides can be had at Lowes for a lot less then the builders charge, and it's fairly easy to put on.

-
Back