Selling a car on EBAY?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting my Cadillac I have for sale in the "non Mopar vehicles" forum on ebay. Does anybody have any experience in this as I have never sold anything on the bay. Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of selling with a reserve and I am wondering about fees and such and what pitfalls to avoid.

Jack

I used to sell a lot on ebay. Mostly collectable glass. 99% of the sales were just fine. I just bought a 60 Lancer wagon on ebay that went good too. Paypal makes the difference.

be sure to read the fine print, they like to take a big chunk and you dont want to hurt your bottom line

I have sold or helped sell a couple of automobiles on eBay including my father's 68 Plymouth. Just be clear on any needed deposit. I would also require online payment transfer or payment on delivery by a certified check or cash. I would definitely not accept any kind of personal check. It actually works pretty smoothly with eBay. The cars I have sold I always used the "Make an Offer" style sale instead of a straight auction. You can still set a bottom limit with that.

I have sold or helped sell a couple of automobiles on eBay including my father's 68 Plymouth. Just be clear on any needed deposit. I would also require online payment transfer or payment on delivery by a certified check or cash. I would definitely not accept any kind of personal check. It actually works pretty smoothly with eBay. The cars I have sold I always used the "Make an Offer" style sale instead of a straight auction. You can still set a bottom limit with that.
I tried to sell an A body 8 3/4 rear end on ebay, it didn`t sell , and they charged me a fee anyway. I dont play that game anymore !

I sold my WS6 Trans Am on there a few years ago. I required a 1000 deposit as soon as the auction ended. I also did a reserve and people kept emailing me wanting to know what it was! I did not tell them. First guy that won backed out the next morning when his "wife won't let me have it". Ching ching that cost him 1000 bucks. Relisted it and went for MORE then next time. Met the new owner at my bank and did a cashier's check transfer. Waited until it went through, THEN signed the title over. Made a new friend too!

Bought my A-body on eBay. It was an auction with a buy it now price and a down payment. I just hit the buy it now button figuring he may have a couple buddies jacking it up. ( I doubt it now) . I really wanted the car and decided to forfeit the difference. Since the distance between was so great I think the down was good for the po as it gave me time to make arrangements and he could keep the small down if the deal fell through. Gave a cashiers check to him at his bank where the title transfer was notarized.
Yote

Thanks for the comments and experiences guy's. Keep them coming.

Can anybody tell me what they payed for ebay fees percentage wise?

Jack

Unless things changed, I seem to remember that when we tried to sell my father's Plymouth the first time we tried to sell it we were unable and because it did not sell we did not pay any fees. We only paid fees after we sold the car. Now it is possible that eBay has changed that policy since it has been quite awhile since I sold a car on there.

It's been about 15 years since I did it, but like previously mentioned by diymirage, they take a large chunk. They get you on the front side with auction fees and on the back side with sale fees and PayPal fees.

I've also read the horror stories of deadbeat buyers and then you get stuck with sales fees for an item that never sold. I use eBay now when I don't care what I get for something or if I don't know what it's worth. Otherwise I use Craigslist.

I sold my last E Body Cuda on there. All together, it cost me roughly 300 dollars. Be sure to list all flaws, or they will burn you on feedback. I required an immediate paypal payment of 1 thousand, non refundable, with the rest cash or certified wire transfer, with car or title not to be released until funds were totally clear. Everything went very smoothly for me, just make sure you cover yourself and write the disclosures in the ad. Good luck

Jack, Why don't you take advantage of your Gold Membership privileges here & bump your ad as allowed ??

No fees to pay on FABO :)

-
Back