SEM Rust shield/POR15/Chassis saver/EastWood Rust encapsulater

-

nothingbutdarts

Reaction score
I had to replace a 4" X 8" section of the floor in my Dart because a cat used it for a litter box for a number of years. (no glass in the car for a long time) there is some other areas where there is mild pitting. I did neutralize the bad areas before doing any work.
I'm trying to decide what to paint the floor pan to protect from more corrosion/rust.
Appreciate all opinions!!!

SEM all the way !! while most other products are "coatings" SEM is a little different.... Its like "PB" blaster rust treatment!! very low viscosity...it penetrates the pores of the metal /rust, converting the rust and locks it down/very tough stuff !!!

Eastwood's product is promising. I was a big fan of POR-15, but my last order was disappointing. They've obviously changed the formula. The ols stuff was self leveling, and couldn't be beaten off with a hammer. The latest can isn't self leveling, and shows drips and brush strokes.

Thanks all! I am still not sure what I want to use on the floor, I need to make a decision and get with it!!!

My way: Clean the floor with a big wire cup on a right angle grinder. Clean it good ans have to DRY and free of any moisture/chemicals. Buy a qt. of Ospho a phosphoric acid solution. Wet it good with the Ospho and leave overnite, next day, wet it good again with Ospho and after sitting a little while, rinse GOOD with water. That neutralizes the acid. Read that last sentence again and let it SINK IN!

Otherwise, you can get a reaction to some prmers/paints. Wipe off any excess dust from the acid. Clean it good with auto shop Wax/grease Remover. IF you ever paint anything it will needs such. Epoxy primer is now best to apply. Yes you buy it at from an auto paint store. It comes in cans not spray cans. The floor, no gun?, put it on with a brush. Topcoat that with Rustoleum enamel. Done. Forget the friggin POR15 and all the rust ecapsulators and other BS.
Its almost 8 PM and time for all old peeps to go to bed.

I used por-15 on my 73 Duster. Any place that didn’t get painted. Bottom of the package tray and supports, underside of roof and quarter panel areas in the inside of the passenger compartment. Love the protection and a little does go a long way.

I used the Eastwood stuff. It was the only one, that I could find, that stated it can be sprayed or brushed on rust and bare metal.
For some reason many state not for use on bare metal, at least at the time I was researching and reading the material.

-
Back