Send positive vibes

-

mopar head

Reaction score
, as I pray to the Mopar Gods.
Who all has experienced a chewed fuel pump shaft and the filter caught all the metal?
My chances, good? fat-slim and none?
I cant remember, can I see the cam eccentric if I pull the dist.? I cant get an eye on it through the pump slot.
just 2000 mi. on a total rebuild:BangHead:

Fuel pump SHAFT? On a Mopar big block? You mean fuel pump ARM, right? Or is this a big block Chevy?

Yeah, I see it now. I guess I had small block on the mind. What chewed up? The actual push rod itself?

Hope the filter got it all, then install a pump block off plate, and install an inline electric fuel pump.

I've had hundreds of B and RB's and this has never happened to me, pictures? Maybe I've been lucky, "knock on wood".

I've had hundreds of B and RB's and this has never happened to me, pictures? Maybe I've been lucky, "knock on wood".
Yeah,don`t jinx yourself.
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

3:30 comes early, talk tomorrow fellas.

What would cause this? Oil slinger on timing chain? I believe I would investigate, timing chain could be next.

If you negated to put any cam lube on the oil pump shaft and or oil pump shaft eccentric, there was your problem. If that's the camshaft end all boogered up, the camshaft fuel pump eccentric is toast too. Sorry, no good vibes.

I've always put grease on mine to hold em in when changing fuel pumps, honestly I've never seen one wiped out.

I bet your cam lobe is toast with that much ground off. Time to go electric.
The title asks for positive vibes, where`s the positive vibes?

If you negated to put any cam lube on the oil pump shaft and or oil pump shaft eccentric, there was your problem. If that's the camshaft end all boogered up, the camshaft fuel pump eccentric is toast too. Sorry, no good vibes.
:BangHead: good vibes dammit good vibes! lol
Yes everything was lubed when assembled.

I've always put grease on mine to hold em in when changing fuel pumps, honestly I've never seen one wiped out.
Hopefully this is a rare occurrence...

To answer my own question, yes you can see the pump lobe through the dist. hole.
Looks good so far, I`ll rotate it around tomorrow to make sure it`s good 360. crossing my fingers.
Keep sending those good vibes everybody! oh wait...

I’ve seen a few of the pushrods worn off. Never the lobe on the cam. The big blocks are still going strong. Kim

Last edited:
Well I rotated the cam, the lobe looks good to me. Went for the gusto, replaced shaft/new pump, drained oil 24hrs. New oil and filter, brought up to temp, pump works good btw, Dumped oil, rinse repeat. We`ll see. If the magical disappearing metal destroys the engine I`ll let ya know. Drain plug had very little metal on it, oil pump pressures are the same, wish me luck. When I had it rebuilt,
I reused the original pushrod, looked ok, car had high 80 thou. mi. on it. In the future I will replace the rod with that types of mileage. I`ve read once the thin hardness wears off the shafts destruct in short order, sounds legit.

-
Back