Sending unit gasket placement

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I know this is a dumb question or thought rather but everything I see online says the gasket goes between the tank and sending unit. But with the gasket in that location the locating tabs do not reach the locating tab holes in the tank. Is it possible the gasket goes on the outside?

Sounds like the gasket is too thick.
A pic may help.
I'll try to take one it will be hard to see inside the tank tho.
With the gasket thickness here is the thing I can't get the locking ring tight enough as it is a thinner gasket and it will never seal.

Here are some pics the first one is with the gasket on the outside of the unit the 2nd in with it on the inside you can see the tabs are nowhere close to engaging

20220228_160647.jpg

20220228_160736.jpg

I'll try to take one it will be hard to see inside the tank tho.
With the gasket thickness here is the thing I can't get the locking ring tight enough as it is a thinner gasket and it will never seal.
A lot of people had that problem, me included. I just made my own gasket out of cork material, smeared each side with gas resistant sealer and let it near dry, and assemble.
Been holding up well for well over a decade.
It`s junk we have to deal with these days.

Post a photo from the outside. What's the gasket look like? How thick is it? The gasket goes between the tank flange and the send unit. The lock ring then twists and pushes the sending unit nice a snug. At least, that's how I remember doing mine years ago.

A lot of people had that problem, me included. I just made my own gasket out of cork material, smeared each side with gas resistant sealer and let it near dry, and assemble.
Been holding up well for well over a decade.
It`s junk we have to deal with these days.
This is what im going to have to do. I managed to get a gasket on the inside and put one in the outside to help tighten it down because one gasket just won't get tight. Even with with two it still leaks. Im gonna get me some gas resistant sealer and make my own gasket thanks for your help.

Are you using your old lock ring, or a new one? Most of the new ones are thinner and don't put enough pressure on the sending unit to get a good seal.

Last edited:
This is what im going to have to do. I managed to get a gasket on the inside and put one in the outside to help tighten it down because one gasket just won't get tight. Even with with two it still leaks. Im gonna get me some gas resistant sealer and make my own gasket thanks for your help.
Your welcome, I think the cork was about 3/16ths thick.
The sealant I think I let it cure, thin skim to seal any pin holes in the cork, if their is any.
Plus it helps to keep it together.

Gasket, sender, lock ring.

Try filing or bending the lips of the ring or receiver.
Its not gonna work in this pos. The gasket is just too thick the alignment tabs aren't reaching the tank. I tried it leaks like a seave.

-
Back