Sending unit inop

-

middleagecrisis

Reaction score
Well I got the gas tank leaks fixed by having several small pin holes welded. After getting the tank back from the shop, now the gauge reads full (when empty). The shop said they welded around the stud for the sending unit, because it was leaking. If I disconnect the chassis power wire from the sending unit, the gauge goes to empty, whcih tells me the gauge is still working. I dropped the tank and removed the sending unit, cleaned all connections (inside the sending unit too), but still have the same results. I tried ohming the sending unit, but couldn't get anything other than .000. Didn't seem to matter what postion the float lever was in, still had .000. Anybody have any thoughts on what's going on? Gauge worked fine before the tank and sending unit went to the shop.

Try a ground strap from the tank to the body,and check to see if you have a low resistance reading from the terminal under the the top of the sending unit for the float wire to the metal surface,if you do,they welded way to much and the terminal and wire for the float is grounded now,Mrmopartech

sounds to me like they screwed up the sending unit with it reading full all the time they must have welded a full ground on the rheostat (bridged the contacts)

I tried grounding the tank to the frame, no change. There is a healthy weld bead on the sending unit stud. Fix one thing, break something else, figures. Technically, it was broken (leaking) before the repair shop broke it again. Looks like I'll be dropping the tank again, for the 5th or 6th time in the last year. Man, this gas tank problem is getting old! Thanks for the replies.

The stud on the sending unit HAS to be isolated from the rest of the sending unit(-)

sounds like they have NO clue what they are doing at that shop

buy a new unit

out of curiousity how much did it all in all cost to have the tank welded and fixed and given back to you? reason being the price of a new one prolli would have been a easier way to go..

but im like that

hope you fix this.. i hate issues that just drag on..

Cerwin said:
out of curiousity how much did it all in all cost to have the tank welded and fixed and given back to you? reason being the price of a new one prolli would have been a easier way to go..

but im like that

hope you fix this.. i hate issues that just drag on..

$55.00 and no leaks with 10 gallons in the tank. Before they repaired the tank, it wouldn't hold more than 5 gallons without leaking. Like I said before, the sending unit stud was loose and leaking, so technically it needed to be replaced anyways. Last time I looked the cheapest I could get a new tank was $230 and that didn't include a sending unit, so I still am ahead. Looks like I'll be upgrading to the 3/8" pick-up sending unit.

somebody is selling fuel senders (5/16" or 3/8") for around $80. I paid about $150 for mine through year one. check around.

don

-
Back