Sending unit mod for in tank pump w/ surge tank set-up

-

jbc426

Reaction score
A few years back I installed a new stock tank, a 3/8's" sending unit w/ a 1/4' return. I was converting my '68 Barracuda convertible from a Slant 6 to an injected Magnum set-up. I decided to run a surge tank set-up to avoid issues when the tank became less than 2/3's full.

I had modified my sending unit by silver soldering in a larger 3/8's" return bung. I then installed that in the tank and used a Carter pusher pump to circulate fuel from the tank, up to my surge tank and back to the tank at "0" psi. It worked very well for many years, but I always was suspect of the lifespan of the diminutive Carter pump.

A few weeks back, my fuel gauge suddenly stopped working to.

Yesterday, the Carter stopped working and left me stranded for a few minutes until I smacked it with a stick. It started working again, and I was able to get home.

Not wanting a repeat. I decided to install an in-tank Deatsch Werks pump I had bought years ago to do this exact conversion. The Carter worked so well, I just kept running it, but I knew an in-tank pump would be longer lasting and flow more fuel.

I pulled out the sending unit, found a short where the fuel sending sire passed through the sealing flange of the sending unit and made some modifications. I figured someone may want to do this some day, so here are some pictures of the modified sending unit. I left the soldered connections bare because I didn't have any fuel proof shrink tubing. The wires bolt to some style of fuel pumps, so I figured its safe once installed.

I used real silver solder I found at a welding supply shop after finding the common hardware stuff ineffective. I sourced the bulkhead wiring connector and my surge tank from Radium Engineering. They make the best quality parts that I've found and are considered top shelf by the Tuner community.

Sending unit mod 1.jpg

Sending unit mod 3.jpg

eng5 (Large).png

-
Back