serious street power.

-
I cant speak for specifics in tech like guys like moper can, but i will tell ya that i think a 440 in an abody is more than enough, especially with aluminum heads...I think also that you should wait for a little more cash to do the motor- in the end its the little things that add up, like what moper listed (i.e. timing chain, oil pump, converter, etc.)...I think if you tune her right even with just a basic short block rebuild and nothing else different from your current setup you should see some gains at the very least...either way good luck! sometimes its hard to decide where to put your money, especially when you have very little

All good points, i know i have more in my current set-up. I am weighing the two options... keep current crank rods or not. The car went slower last time due to timing and carb... the 750 isnt quite enough anymore so im going 850dp and more cam + solid anyway... which means springs and so on.
All and all my thing is i figured since the shortblock is getting ripped into the thought of buying a stroker sounded nice..
Lets say if i keep my bottem end and just do the .030 pistons.. which should raise compression... i lost a little due to general wear... would i need need a balence the bottem end??? I would think if the stock bottem end checks out ok then the factory balence job would be ok?

I talked to the machine shop i will probly use... more expensive then the other but this one is a better shop...
Dip/Flux block-$105, Bore - $205, Intall cam bearings - $ 60
Put pistons on rods - $ 102, polish/mag crank- $ 65
check rods for spec- $ 60, put shotblock together - $400
total is $1000 to keep bottem end... plus parts.
Damn!

On a grudge night, a guy asked me what was done to it, after we made a pass. He had cam, headers, carb, intake, etc., on his early small block Camaro and was embarrassed when he saw my "combo". What I'm getting at is; getting the most out of a combo is very gratifying."

This is normal for chevy guys. 8)

I just skimmed your elaborate post...but i can offer something i think..

it comes down to--and was mentioned...

is this a daily driver

do you want it to run on 92 pump gas

how much $$ do you want to dump into it.(man, thats an open question)

run the Source heads- but get them mildly ported

you cant go wrong with the 440source stroker kits. I have one.

dont forget---while you have your VISA out---- you will need a matching converter to your combo or you aint goin nowhere (like the camaro guy above)

;)

we have all went high 11's and 12's with the 509 cam and iron heads.

Thats old school tech. --There ya go .

My eventual build in the future would be the following...
512 stroker. (440source probly) due to price.
440source heads (currently running) port job if money is there,
540 lift or so solid cam/roller rockers.
850 holley. same intake headers,and everything else.

I guess the general reason i posted this to the board was to see if since im going to be ripping into the shortblock now if throwing in a stroker kit which isnt much more then buying the pistons/rings/bearings machine cost seperate
considering the performance gain....

I would think if your already tearing into the short block I would look at this kit:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/493440flpist.html

Its not ballanced but depending on your machine shop you can get it done for around $150.00ish

Should work well with the parts you listed above. Good luck.

Don

-
Back