Setting a Carter BBD 2BBL

-

victordemise

1964 Dart 270 4 Door
Reaction score
I need to know how to set my carb up from scratch.
It was just rebuilt, but I had a timing issue where my mark was WAY off the scale, like four inches, so I got that straightened out (about 7.5 BTDC) and as of now my Dart 270 won't fire up Though it almost will.:dontknow:

It may not be the carb at all, but I need to find a baseline setting to go from.
I'm mostly concerned with the mixture screws on the front. I sort of suspect I'm running rich.

I've had three Mopars- A 74 Dart Sport, then a 69 Plymouth Fury III, and now my favorite, the 64 Dart 273, but I've never had to set a carburetor before.

...................Recheck ur timing....probably needs more advance..4 inches is way more than 7.5 degrees..it will still fire up with the mixture screws out of adjustment, may not run good, 1.5-2 turns is about right.........kim......

NO no....It WAS off by like four inches, it is NOW at approx 7.5 (or it was last time it was running!!)
ALSO: my car is pretty much stock all the way, and my timing is set at 7.5 BTDC as I said. I see a lot of cars on this site set as high as 20 degrees (though usually less, like 10-15 BTDC- Is that just for racing/souped-up situations?

I just want my stock 273 to run like it was meant to, and I was told (by someone, somewhere) to shoot for 7.5, so I did... But I have also found that, NOW IT WONT START!!

-
Back