Setting Axle Play on 8 3/4

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
So, I've got an 8 3/4 I'm trying to get together for the first time. I've been following the '69 Factory Service Manual but seem to have gotten a little stuck. I've installed the axles and bolted down the flanges to the housing. I then turned the adjuster as far clockwise as I can (as the FSM stated, using my fingers) and now I'm unsure what to do. It says to turn the adjuster 4 notches, but what is considered a notch? The adjuster has a long prong followed by a short prong. So is each prong considered a "notch?" Right now, there's no play on either side. I'm using Dr Diff's 11.7" disc brake kit, fyi.

What's the best way about doing this? I don't want a screwed up 8 3/4 because I adjusted it wrong.

First, get a hammer and tap the driver's side axle IN toward the center of the car. This puts all the slop over on the passenger's side so you can adjust it all with the adjuster. Once that is done, adjust the collar so you have .006"-.010" end play in the passenger's side axle and lock it down. Done.

Yeah, Double M gave me a call and walked me through the whole process. It's set! :cheers:

-
Back