Setting up a 742 8-3/4

-

66dartman

Reaction score
What marking compound have you been using to check the pattern on an 8-3/4? I am used to the big diffs and seeing a pattern on them is easy. I have tried prussian blue, grease, spray enamel, artist paint and even the compound that comes from the gear people. Still can't see a pattern!

It's been about 25 years since I last changed out a ring and pinion set in an 8 3/4" Mopar, but I used Prussian Blue and don't recall having any problem seeing the mesh pattern. Now I'd probably need my glasses, because even though my eyesight is still perfect, my arms have shrunk some. :) Maybe try some white grease and put it on fairly thick until you get to the point where you can see the engagement pattern then adjust from there.

I use the compound that comes with the gear set but have used prussian blue with good results

Do you have to put a pretty good load on the ring gear when you turn it for the pattern to show up? I've even had my co-worker hold the gear and me turn the pinion in the checking paint but niether of us could see it. I had 4 guys looking for it last night and nobody could see it either.

ive always used white lithium grease. make sure you out it on the right side of the teeth on the ring. i found that one out real quick

-
Back