Setting Up MSD Dist

-

6dart9

Reaction score
So I got the MSD Pro Billet 8534 Distributor and i want to get it set up but am at a loss with the springs and bushing parts of the timing
I have done some searching around and people say to put the lightest springs in and put the most initial in that i can.

I had my engine Dyno'ed with the MP Dist and it ran best at 34 Degrees

Here is my set up
340 with 2.02 valves
the COMP Cams XE268 cam
It is a 4 speed
Ignition is the 6AL box

What I am thinking is using the lightest springs so it has the fastest advance but am at a loss for which bushing to use

Hope someone can help me out here

thanks

Justin

thanks captain obvious

Well i have the instructions i was just looking for a spring / bushing recommendation someone else used in a comparable set up

thanks captain obvious

Well i have the instructions i was just looking for a spring / bushing recommendation someone else used in a comparable set up

HUH? Whattaway to respond to someone trying to help..........good luck.

have the same msd dist my initial is at 22 but the total goes beyond the 34-36 that is desirerd going to get bushings from 4 seconds flat .com they are 29.00 and will shorten up the advance. i would not use the lightest springs,keep the heavier ones as long as they are fully advanced before your stall speed then it wont ping and should run cooler in town.sorry didnt see the 4 speed part but i still wouldnt use the lightest springs.

So I got the MSD Pro Billet 8534 Distributor and i want to get it set up but am at a loss with the springs and bushing parts of the timing
I have done some searching around and people say to put the lightest springs in and put the most initial in that i can.

I had my engine Dyno'ed with the MP Dist and it ran best at 34 Degrees

Here is my set up
340 with 2.02 valves
the COMP Cams XE268 cam
It is a 4 speed
Ignition is the 6AL box

What I am thinking is using the lightest springs so it has the fastest advance but am at a loss for which bushing to use

Hope someone can help me out here

thanks

Justin

I was thinking of using one of these distributors but I don't like the MSD boxes , have had trouble with them on small block Chevs a couple of times. Do they HAVE to be used?

Blue bushing. 1 light silver & 1 light blue spring. That gives you about 22° advance in the distributor, with it all in by around 2500 RPM. So if you set your initial timing to 12°, you'll have 34° total at 2500 RPM. I have almost the exact same engine/cam as you, and this works pretty good.

I was thinking of using one of these distributors but I don't like the MSD boxes , have had trouble with them on small block Chevs a couple of times. Do they HAVE to be used?

With the O.P.'s distributor, yes it must have an MSD "Box" to work. Not all MSD distributors do though.

Oops, I should know better... always look at the dates on these things.

Anyways, what do you think about my advice?

-
Back