Several leaf spring questions

-

69GT

Reaction score
When I got my 70 340 Dart it had some pretty firm leaf springs on it that gave it a nice stance. I recently installed an offset spring kit and upon reinstalling the springs I discovered that the rear shackles were pressed up against the frame at the back of the car. I took the springs back off and measured them and although the front sector is correct for an A-body at 20" in length, the rear sector is 36", 1" too long. So I had an old set of stock leafs from another 340 Dart and I put them on the car which of course fit properly. But now the car sits too low due I'm sure to the age of the springs. I have been considering buying a set of Mopar XHD springs and have been reading a lot of old posts about springs both here and on Moparts and there seems to be mixed reviews about the quality of the Mopar springs so I don't know what to do. So I have three options I have been considering and I would appreciate your opinions. 1. Should I have the stock 340 Dart springs re-arched (and possibly add a leaf or two)? 2. Should I go ahead and take a chance and buy the Mopar XHD springs? 3. The third option I was thinking of is just replacing the longest leaf from the firm springs that came on the car (the one that was too long) with the longest leaf from the old 340 Dart springs. Hopefully it would give me a similar stance to what the car had when I got it while no longer having the shackle hit the frame. I also see a lot of people recommend Espo and Eaton springs but that is not an option as they are way to expensive for my budget. Espo quoted me $550 plus shipping and I can get the Mopar springs for $215 from Mancini and they are close to where I live so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Mixing and matching seems as though it woukd he a bd idea to me. I don't know abiut the area you livein but where I am from it is mire to rearch then to but new. I personally run Mopar performance super stock springs. I love them but the passenger side rides a little higher then the drivers and they are bumpy as all hell. I would suggest the xhd springs because they are similar to the original 340 car springs and they will give you a taller stance without the negatives of super stockers.

Jmo

Jeff

I would use the correct length main spring with the other pack of springs first, you only have some time involved. Second, I would add one larger spring from the original pack and lastly, if that doesn't work, get the mainspring re-arched.

I used a spring shop recommended by a FABOer on another thread. Check out McVeigh Springs. Not sure how close they are to you. I got a set for my 73 and am very pleased. Seems like it was $179 @ my door.

Why would the springs be back so far if you only added the offset shackle kit? The front hangars should be the same cept for the offset. Did you shim the new hangars?

I would just add a leaf (total of 6) and rearch them by a good spring shop to factory specs.

"Why would the springs be back so far if you only added the offset shackle kit?"

The old straight shackles were hitting the frame too. I just never noticed it before. When I jacked the car up to put the offset kit on they dropped down so I didn't see them against the frame. I ended up noticing the offset shackles were against the frame after I installed them and looked under the car to make sure everything was positioned right once I lowered it off the jack.

-
Back