Severe Miss

-

lodaddy

Reaction score
The ol'Dart died at a stoplight. Towed it home, reduced the problem to the timing chain (Cam gear was history!). replaced the set and the plugs, everything went together nicely, fired right up. Now has a MAJOR miss. Got fire to all the plugs. Removed the wires one by one while the engine running and can't narrow it down. Any help before just go with a replacement engine. This one is at 145k. thxs

As stated above.. compression/ leak down test .. if this is an "interference engine" .. the piston may have tagged a valve. (bent stem .. valve hanging open)

Probably just badly in need of ignition timing adjustment -- it will have changed dramatically in replacement of a slack timing chain with a taut one. I had exactly the same situation the first time I did a T-chain-and-sprocket swap; the timing had shifted so far off that the sparks were jumping randomly to the wrong cap towers because the rotor was closer to the wrong tower than to the right one. And that was with a 6-cylinder with relatively wide spaces between adjacent cap towers; on a V8 this space is narrower so it takes less of a timing shift to cause the problem.

Do compression test, you probably bent a valve. With 145k I would guess a complete valve job is in order.

Severe Miss-strong woman?:) Do we know what engine? Stock?

Thxs to all, even "lil Jonnie", I went the timing route, same results. Will try the compresson test tomorrow. Ultimately I feel this ol teener will move over for a fresh, warm, 340. thxs again

-
Back