Shackle Torques/Breakage

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing up the installation of my freshly restored rearend/suspension. I am having issues with the shackles being torqued down. The book calls for 30ft lbs of torque, but when I go to torque them, the bolt snaps. I even lowered the torque to 20 ft lbs and it still snapped. I moved to the other side and got a different torque wrench thinking that one was off and had the same issues. I ordered these shackles through Mancini and plan to call them tomorrow again. This is the second set of shackles I have had this issue with. Is this the wrong torque? Help please, this is getting expensive @ $50 a set!

its there Peice of S**T shackles! i had the same problem and i was just snuggin then with a box wrench!

and after 6K miles the stud will wear the knurl off out of the shackle...

send those things back and get your money back...

i hate this S**T people are selling now...

Is there a beefier shackle out there somewhere that anyone recommends so myself and other users on here do not have these issues with bolt breakage? I am tempted to make my own and just run two 1/2" grade 8 bolts through the brackets. Thanks for the feedback on them shackles!

Ken

Is there a beefier shackle out there somewhere that anyone recommends so myself and other users on here do not have these issues with bolt breakage? I am tempted to make my own and just run two 1/2" grade 8 bolts through the brackets. Thanks for the feedback on them shackles!

Ken

well either get a set of originals or just get some 1/4" plate

drill the two holes and use 4.5" long 1/2" bolts with nylocks(reason for nylocks is that there is no stop when using bolts so you can just put some preload on the bushings with out binding)

well either get a set of originals or just get some 1/4" plate

drill the two holes and use 4.5" long 1/2" bolts with nylocks(reason for nylocks is that there is no stop when using bolts so you can just put some preload on the bushings with out binding)

Any companies that sell the originals? It is hard to tell if the shackles are junk, like Mancinis, or beefy since they all look the same. I did find a beefed up set on Hotchins website, but they are not for an A body. Thanks again for the help.

Ken

Any companies that sell the originals? It is hard to tell if the shackles are junk, like Mancinis, or beefy since they all look the same. I did find a beefed up set on Hotchins website, but they are not for an A body. Thanks again for the help.

Ken

you dont need "beefy" ones... all they do is mount the rear of the spring and pivot...

find FACTORY ones (in a junk yard) or make your own...

new ones are all gonna be the same... chinese crap... like mancini's

-
Back