Shake, rattle, and roll!

-

Khyron

Token "B" Body
Reaction score
Welp. I can't find my old thread ;) so i'll start here :D

I was posting about the rattle noise I was having, well. with the ticks and rattles I figured I would let the old gas burn, and fill up with some new gas.

I went with a full tank of 93, and a gallon of 103 ;) it still has that damn rattle....

good news is that tick I thought was my exsaust... ummm, wasn't. I pulled the valve covers the other night. I had 2 lifters on wrong :doh:

but now I'm still worryed about that damn rattle. Timeing is dead on, well, as dead on as I can get it. air / fuel good, vacuum is at 15 <probubly be able to do beter>

I think maybe i'm one tooth off on the timeing chain????????

maybe????? any Idea's guys? this is driving me nuts.

Is it a factory style balancer ? They're bad about letting the outer weight ring slip around on the rubber that divides it from the inner piece. I had one that was Waaaaaay off. Get the piston to TDC and check the balancer.

well, you know how on the rail they sit like this...

==)(==)(==)(==)(==

imagine thats the rail, an dthe ) and ( are the rockers... mine was like this.

==)(==)(==()==)(==

opps :p

*bump*

Update. I'm an Idiot x2!

I was so far off on the timeing it wasn't even funny. Thats the rattle. I had to remove my bottom radiator hose to get a correct timeing reading on it. I'm not even going to post how far advanced I was. I don't want to look like a total tool ;) But the good news it, she's sucking gas and hauling *** now. A bit of an exaust tick but i'll get some beter gaskets.

Now onto my new springs and some odds and ends.

At least it was an easy fix. Sounds like you're getting it dialed in.

oh, so the rockers were on wrong. thats an easy mistake.

heck yea, way advanced timming will rattle a motor big time. i once had a similar situation and had almost 50 degress of timing in the motor--not including vacum advance. turned it back a bit and all was well.

--chad

turbodart said:
oh, so the rockers were on wrong. thats an easy mistake.

heck yea, way advanced timming will rattle a motor big time. i once had a similar situation and had almost 50 degress of timing in the motor--not including vacum advance. turned it back a bit and all was well.

--chad

I felt like a tool when I saw the rockers, lol hey now. Just a quick question. I saw a nice dart last weekend in Saratoga, was that you? It was a nice yellow with a black bumble bee stripe in the back.?

-
Back