Shake rattle and roll

• Total voters
-
Guessing you used the fuel pump eccentric adapter from Hughes to run your mechanical fuel pump? Seems like it was discussed earlier but I couldn't find it in the thread. If so, have you checked to make sure it is still tight? I know of one individual that has had it come loose on him.

BTW, I run the same adapter but haven't had a problem so far.

After driving all over town to find parts, I shove an air compressor in the fuel and return line by the pump and routed a hose on the other end into a glass bottle. Flow was great no debris or gunk came out. I replaced the fuel sender screen after cutting it open to add a spring in order to prevent it from getting sucked flat. Cleaned the return valve on the sender. Replaced the fuel lines to the tank and the rubber seal to the sender unit. Fire it up and..... even worse pressure than before 4-5.5 psi but fluctuating like crazy and still dropping with throttle. Im running out of ideas and patience with this one. I guess I can throw another pump at it but the one thats currently on it was working great with the old motor. What am I missing here?

Just for grins, bypass the old metal line and just run a rubber line from the tank to the pump temporarily.
compressed air might have just crammed junk further down the metal line and not cleared it out.
Personally, I'd stick an electric pump on a gas can closer to the engine and see what happens.

Guessing you used the fuel pump eccentric adapter from Hughes to run your mechanical fuel pump? Seems like it was discussed earlier but I couldn't find it in the thread. If so, have you checked to make sure it is still tight? I know of one individual that has had it come loose on him.

BTW, I run the same adapter but haven't had a problem so far.
Definately a thought of mine. I used a screwdriver to make sure it was still tight. Dropped the tank as I couldnt get the sender unit to seal properly in the car. Replaced the pump with a carter(third pump so far). No change. Then while the tank was out I blew into the fuel line to test my theory and was correct. The california (vapor seperator) as my factory manual calls the third line from the fuel filter was blowing straight gas back down the return. I replaced it with a standard two inlet filter and now I have have constant steady fuel pressure. The car drives significantly better and doesnt starve for fuel. That being said im still having this surging issue and the engine hunts at idle. Im getting very close to driving this car into the ocean and financing a prius. Im completely out of ideas at this point. Only happens once the car is warmed up.

-
Back