shakel angle

-

madmax/6

Reaction score
Going to Vegas next week to race my 62 chopped top valiant.trying to get rear springs set right,wondering what a good angle is for the rear shakels ,car weighs 2650 with me in it,202 rwhp slant six,Was told 45 degrees but that seems like too much,I have 25 right now,Any thoughts?

As long as the shackles are pionting forward,that means the bottom of the shackle is forward to the top,your good.Would it be best to have more angle forward,yes,but if you got at least some,your good,mrmopartech

Was told opposite,I have the bottom 25 degrees Back from the top,the explanation I got was that when the rear end gets loaded and pinion goes up it would pull the shackels forward lifting the rear as they go to center thus planting the tires down,The whole reason I just joined this forum Is because I dont quite buy all the info I can get from the slant six forum,more room here for more opinions,Thanks,Mark

I think your on the right track from my past experience.

If the top of the shackle is behind the bottom of the shackle, wouldn't the suspension bind when the spring tries to move under load? As the spring is compressed, it gets longer. If the bottom of the shackle is behind the top it allows the spring to move freely. If the bottom is in front of the top, how is the spring going to flex? Maybe I'm missing something?

The front of the car is to the left side in the picture. You want the frame shackle mount point even or in front of the spring eye shackle point

rearsuspension_17.jpg

-
Back