Shallower base/drop plate?

-

mmdoctor

Reaction score
Newbie here...looking for some advice on getting a shallower base/drop plate for my air cleaner housing. Running a 5.9 magnum with an Eddy Air gap intake and an Eddy 750 and it's just a smidge too tall to close my hood without damaging my MP air cleaner cover (we're talking no more than an inch or so of needed space).

Was hoping to just find a shallower air filter but after going thru the entire stack at my local shucks (much to their chagrin), the shallower ones were too wide in diameter to fit correctly on the plate.

Thanks in advance for your help!

So you need a deeper drop base?
K&N makes some. But not knowing your filter diameter, you may or may not find one to fit.
I had to do some juggling between filter heights and drop bases after I installed a 1" spacer under the carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...t-Type/Air-Cleaner-Bottoms/?keyword=drop+base

You gotta be careful not to use a too short filter with a deep drop base because you can restrict the airflow between the cover and the "curve" of the drop base.

Now you know why I did my hood the way I did. I haven't seen an intake for a magnum that clears. If you try to use a drop base you may have problems with carb linkage interference.

Attachments

• IM000285.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IM000295.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IM000296.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 262
Many years ago (80's) I used a Moroso drop base air cleaner that fit great under my Torino's hood with a Holley Street Dominator intake, a Holley 750 on top of a tall 400M engine.

Check them out. I've never been dissatisfied with anything I've bought from them.

http://www.moroso.com/

ahhhh man cowl induction hood????? thats so like a bow tie lol

Not so bad I don't think. I've seen some super bad *** A-Bodies run here at Bandimere in the tens with a "Reverse Scoop". :) As long as there's not a freakin' 350 under the hood, who cares? 8)

Here is the link. It only comes in one length, TOO DAMN LONG, so you will have to trim to fit.

http://www.usbody.com/ShopOn-Line/

If the link doesn't bring you directly to the scoop page scroll down the left side to misc. then custom hood scoops and click. This will bring you to a page that shows both the 2.25 and 5 inch models.

From their page:

"Build your own custom cowl induction hood. Our latest release, high quality automotive grade pre-formed metal cowl induction style hood scoops. Now you can fabricate your own cowl hoods. This panel can be flanged, trimmed and easily welded in place to fit your needs.
This 2 1/4 Inch Dominator Cowl Induction scoop panel is stamped from 20 gauge automotive grade steel.
Whether you are looking to draw more air into your engine, in need of clearance, or yearning for a cool new look, this quality steel scoop is just what you've been looking for."

Newbie here...looking for some advice on getting a shallower base/drop plate for my air cleaner housing. Running a 5.9 magnum with an Eddy Air gap intake and an Eddy 750 and it's just a smidge too tall to close my hood without damaging my MP air cleaner cover (we're talking no more than an inch or so of needed space).

Was hoping to just find a shallower air filter but after going thru the entire stack at my local shucks (much to their chagrin), the shallower ones were too wide in diameter to fit correctly on the plate.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Measure the diameter of your air cleaner then go to the Summitt website and see if you can find one in that diameter with a dropped base. Post what you need and I'll help you find it.

okay, took some measurements tonight of my setup. again, i'm running an eddy air gap intake and an eddy 750 carb with electric choke and having hood clearance issues (just barely). didn't see any bases on summit's website that will fit.

current air filter diameter (inside edge to inside edge) is 11".

current base is 13" from outside edge to outside edge. the diameter of the inside opening on the base (for the carb) is 5".

current air filter height is 2.75".

thanks in advance for any help!

So its safe to say you are using a 14 inch diameter air cleaner. Go to your local parts house that stocks K&N. If you are "just barely" having clearance problems they make a 2-1/2 inch high 14 inch diameter filter (will fit into your base and cover). They also make a 2 inch high but thats a little restrictive I think. Might want to look at a smaller diameter also. You are probably getting interference on the inner structure that goes across the back of the hood. A smaller diameter unit would fix the problem.

There is one that will work. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole air cleaner. It is a furd air cleaner with a 0.625 dropped base.

I thought the Mopar Performance air cleaner took a 12 3/4" filter...Which is smaller than the standard 14" stuff...I was looking for a drop base that fit the MP lid...Didn't have much luck at the time though...

Here is the link. It only comes in one length, TOO DAMN LONG, so you will have to trim to fit.

http://www.usbody.com/ShopOn-Line/

If the link doesn't bring you directly to the scoop page scroll down the left side to misc. then custom hood scoops and click. This will bring you to a page that shows both the 2.25 and 5 inch models.

From their page:

"Build your own custom cowl induction hood. Our latest release, high quality automotive grade pre-formed metal cowl induction style hood scoops. Now you can fabricate your own cowl hoods. This panel can be flanged, trimmed and easily welded in place to fit your needs.
This 2 1/4 Inch Dominator Cowl Induction scoop panel is stamped from 20 gauge automotive grade steel.
Whether you are looking to draw more air into your engine, in need of clearance, or yearning for a cool new look, this quality steel scoop is just what you've been looking for."

Thanks a lot!

-
Back