Shattered flexplate!

-

coolbreeze

LoweLife
Reaction score
I have had my 64' Dodge wagon back together and on the road this summer with no issues until this past weekend. I had the tranny rebuilt, bought a B&M stall, and a TCI auto/man valvebody. We went for a trip this past weekend with me driving my 31' and the wife following in the Dart. I woke up Saturday morning and found some tranny fluid under the Dart, not a lot, just a small puddle. While checking the fluid, I seen the trans was leaking while the car was running, again, not real bad just a drip, drip, drip. We headed home Sunday morning after I checked the fluid level. I did notice a slight rattle in park but the noise quit with the car in gear. We tried to baby our way home but about 50 miles down the road the wife called me and said she heard soemthing hit under the car and smelled something. I had her pull off at the next stop and jacked the car up. The smell she smelled was tranny fluid on the mufflers and the noise was part of the flexplate. When I looked there was 2 missing "ears" and big cracks in the other two! I can't believe the car was still moving! I am going to start to pull the tranny tonight and was wondering if there is anything I should check while it is out. This isn't a race car, just a mild street motor. I am a little curious to why the old stock flexplate let lose.?.

Opps. The motor is stock lower end. It has not been line bored so I don't believe the trans/motor alignment could be too far (out of spec) off. I knew I should have went 5 spd! LOL

I had one brake on me one time and I think what happened was wen the trans was out the flex plate got dropped and landed on its edge at the bolt hole.any ways you could see were it hit the floor and never thought any more of it put it in and a week later it came apart know whether that had any thing to do with it or not it still broke and came apart.I do know they are tempered steel so I'm sure something that thin is probably pretty sensitive it the only one I have dropped and the only one I have broke and I have put allot of them in.If something like that happened could be your answer just a thought...........Artie

Is it the tranny that was in the car or did they replace with like kind? It could be important if it was replaced.

I would say it was caused by loose bolts.

The bolts look to be tight (they are still holding the remaining chunks of the flexplate). The tranny is a different 727, but the same type, a 727 TF. I could check anything that might be of help with the exception of run-out, I just cannot see tearing apart a good tranny.

-
Back