Shaved Drip Rail?

-

moparornocar72

Jack Of All Trades
Reaction score
The drip rail above my driver side window is slightly rotten, but enough where i would have to find a new piece and weld it in, I was looking at it the other day and was thinking of just removing the drip rail above the window. Has anyone shaved the drip rail molding off or trimmed it down? It's on a 1973 dodge dart sport. opinions please

Weld a new piece in! I seen a car the other day it looks weird to me. Goes with shaved door handles in a package? Just my O2 Cents

Yeah I was hopeing for someone on FABO to have it done or someone who has tried it that has pics. Does anyone have that piece?

started ours, not much good progress yet. you have to reweld the roof panel to the pillar along the seam, do a section at a time so the car doesn't tweak.

I was thinking about doing this to my Duster drag car. Would be nice to see some pics of one done. Frome the looks of it that rail is what joins the top an bottom roof sections to gether. So if you cut it off you would have to reweld them to gether Mabby add a strip in to the gap. Good question and one I was going to ask my self.

Couldn't a strip of metal be welded at the seam from the underside first then grind off the drip rail. I would think that would save the headache of alignment problems.

I have seen this done and am considering it for my own project, but the thing to remember is that the drip rail is the pinch weld that joins the roof panel to the substructure, so you can't just cut it off. It must be done in sections and the panels re-welded and in some cases additional metal will need to be added. It's definitely not as simple as it looks and is a major modification that will change the look of the car more than you think. i may be in the process of talking myself out of it. :)

anyone else have this done with at least primer on it? grr i want to see a finished project

In primer....

Cage has been re-done since pic.

SANY0068.JPG

SANY0066.JPG

weird, I can cut that piece off of my sport if you still need it I think lol

-
Back