shaving 452's

-

dustinmoran91

Reaction score
What is the most i can shave off the 452's to raise the compression on my 78 440? I know the intake will need milled also but i want to slightly increase the compression without a $500 set of pistons lol

That said, you can still make a low compression 440 move pretty good with the proper cam selection, intake, carb, ex combo.
I had a 77 440 in a 70 Coronet. I put a magnum reproduction cam in, pocket ported the heads, the old Edelbrock ch4b intake and headers with 3.91s and a 750.
It ran real strong, pulled to 5800 and would light the tires at a 15-20 mph roll.
The old cam on a 115 lsa really surprised me. Wider lsa has a broad curve and still retains vacuum and good idle for
low compression motors. The key is not over camming.

That said, you can still make a low compression 440 move pretty good with the proper cam selection, intake, carb, ex combo.
I had a 77 440 in a 70 Coronet. I put a magnum reproduction cam in, pocket ported the heads, the old Edelbrock ch4b intake and headers with 3.91s and a 750.
It ran real strong, pulled to 5800 and would light the tires at a 15-20 mph roll.
The old cam on a 115 lsa really surprised me. Wider lsa has a broad curve and still retains vacuum and good idle for
low compression motors. The key is not over camming.

Thats exactly one of the kind of responses i wanted lol i didnt want to spend much money on it so what you listed is right up my alley!

One of my best "krylon rebuilt" engines was a 78 440. Pulled it from the New Yorker, put in a windage tray, stuck in the Crane H302-2 cam, MP street Hemi valve springs, steel head gaskets, and an iron six pack. In my cuda (E body) it would run 12.40s with 3.91s and I drove it daily for 2 years (yes, in the snow too..lol).

One of my best "krylon rebuilt" engines was a 78 440. Pulled it from the New Yorker, put in a windage tray, stuck in the Crane H302-2 cam, MP street Hemi valve springs, steel head gaskets, and an iron six pack. In my cuda (E body) it would run 12.40s with 3.91s and I drove it daily for 2 years (yes, in the snow too..lol).

Wow! Lol thats pretty good! I didnt want to touch the bottom end since it was still good, im loving these top end touch ups! I didnt know they had that much potential with their compression

-
Back