shavings in pan

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
Well I put a new pan on my 727 tonight. When I removed the old pan it had quite a bit of shavings in it. The tranny works prefect and I want it to stay that way. Should I be concerned?

What consistency were the shavings? It isn't uncommon to find some sludge type material in the pan.

I believe a little is normal. When I did my filter change last summer I found a little in mine, doesn't seem to have affected the operation any.

Like I said earlier the tranny works great so I guess I will just drive it!

herd its normal for a certain amount herd some guys here say to take a pic of the pan with it in there, there was some on mine when i changed the fluid to new fluid still works fine.

It is gludgy but there are a certain amount of shavings mixed in

Whether what your seeing is normal or not depends on how long it's been since the pan was last dropped and cleaned. If you got about a 1/2 teaspoon of filings and its been a couple of years since the last inspection I'd say make no changes and run her. Always change the oil filter "regardless" and if the oil look and smells good (not dark coloured or burnt smelling) I'd put her back in and run her. If you've seen these conditions and have only run a couple weeks then you could have a bigger problem.

Whether what your seeing is normal or not depends on how long it's been since the pan was last dropped and cleaned. If you got about a 1/2 teaspoon of filings and its been a couple of years since the last inspection I'd say make no changes and run her. Always change the oil filter "regardless" and if the oil look and smells good (not dark coloured or burnt smelling) I'd put her back in and run her. If you've seen these conditions and have only run a couple weeks then you could have a bigger problem.

This is exactly the way it is.
It is totally normal to find 3 things in the pan.
1. little slivers or flakes of shiney metal (this is normal bushing wear)
2&3 are the black sludgy looking stuff (this is friction material and aluminum)
You won't see the aluminum as metal though, as it has worn off the converter impellers from the force of the fluid so it shows in the pan as black.

Like demon seed said, 1/2 a teaspoon or so is totally normal for a good running trans.

This is the first time I dropped the pan and do not know how long it has been since the last time. The car sat for 7 years before i got it. I have had the car for almost 2 years.

-
Back