Shed Renovation

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This evening I recorded my first video in a YouTube series that I’ll be doing about renovating this old shed that’s on my dads farm.

Back story: this old barn was on the farm when dad bought it back in 2008, the “main” part (section that was enclosed) was already in pretty terrible condition at that time. We used the other 6 bays for hay storage for a few years but the barn has sat unused since. That’s all about to change. My wife and I signed a sale contract on our farm this week, and will need to be out by the end of June at the latest. The place we are looking to buy doesn’t have a shop or buildings that I can put my parts cars, future project vehicles or my brothers 72 Duster project (build thread coming on that once we start) so we are going to fix up this old shed and use it for storage and to work on my brothers Duster.

3 people have already told me to burn it down and start over, which motivates me even more to take the bones of this shed and make it nice and useable again! Stay tuned for updates in the coming weeks!

Here is what I’m starting with.

Front (east) end of the “shop” part
CDC6D335-8BFC-4BF5-BC48-26077AC2864D.jpeg
99C4ABDD-C60A-4675-95CA-91261222A0EE.jpeg

Looking down the front of the shop and 6 bay “storage” area
173AA789-E44A-492B-97A2-7A6487D44D02.jpeg
735A65D4-07C8-4C20-9158-4B861B6E8B42.jpeg

Here’s with the inside of the shop part looks like.
F6F5F544-8482-47E6-A9C1-FA7DDCA892DD.jpeg
26427605-9425-43B3-9A34-FE366C9C9742.jpeg
78533AFA-B131-47A1-8779-82B97F0A9DE6.jpeg

North end wall of the “shop”
84E3F7C3-C19C-4CA6-A571-A4450D0DBF27.jpeg

West end of the shop
1A756B5D-0E5F-4A88-AD6B-3A69AE2F29D6.jpeg

West end of the storage bays
D925DBC7-5AA6-472C-BF5C-299B70B3AA30.jpeg

I’ll post a link to Part 1 of the YouTube series as soon as it finishes uploading. Future updates will probably all be in video form.

This evening I recorded my first video in a YouTube series that I’ll be doing about renovating this old shed that’s on my dads farm.

Back story: this old barn was on the farm when dad bought it back in 2008, the “main” part (section that was enclosed) was already in pretty terrible condition at that time. We used the other 6 bays for hay storage for a few years but the barn has sat unused since. That’s all about to change. My wife and I signed a sale contract on our farm this week, and will need to be out by the end of June at the latest. The place we are looking to buy doesn’t have a shop or buildings that I can put my parts cars, future project vehicles or my brothers 72 Duster project (build thread coming on that once we start) so we are going to fix up this old shed and use it for storage and to work on my brothers Duster.

3 people have already told me to burn it down and start over, which motivates me even more to take the bones of this shed and make it nice and useable again! Stay tuned for updates in the coming weeks!

Here is what I’m starting with.

Front (east) end of the “shop” part
View attachment 1715891036 View attachment 1715891034

Looking down the front of the shop and 6 bay “storage” area
View attachment 1715891037 View attachment 1715891039

Here’s with the inside of the shop part looks like.
View attachment 1715891038 View attachment 1715891040 View attachment 1715891042

North end wall of the “shop”
View attachment 1715891041

West end of the shop
View attachment 1715891046

West end of the storage bays
View attachment 1715891044

I’ll post a link to Part 1 of the YouTube series as soon as it finishes uploading. Future updates will probably all be in video form.
The price of building materials has gone way up again. I wouldn't waste a bit of it. You can show them how it's done! Sounds like a great project.

The price of building materials has gone way up again. I wouldn't waste a bit of it. You can show them how it's done! Sounds like a great project.
Yeah we're going to get this done as cheaply as we possibly can. I’ll eventually be building a shop at our new place so I’ll be saving as much money as possible for that build.

Last edited:
The basics are all there. I wish I was closer so I could help. I see BIG potential! I'll watch your progress.

You could be the king of repurposing. Use what ya got and make the best of it.
I'll be watching !

What size is the building?
Good luck with it. Don't throw anything away till your done. You will be surprised what you can reuse.

What size is the building?
Good luck with it. Don't throw anything away till your done. You will be surprised what you can reuse.
The shop part is approximately 30x30, the storage part is probably about 20x60-70.
I was going to scrap the old rusted metal, then I thought “this stuff looks pretty cool! Maybe I should advertise it for people who do craft stuff” then I thought “well, if it’s good enough for someone else to use for crafts, it’s good enough to use as an accent wall on the interior of either this shop or when I build mine!” So yeah, I’ll be repurposing whatever I can. Lol

You could be the king of repurposing. Use what ya got and make the best of it.
I'll be watching !

Rustic! That would be the theme!
I would use what is SOUND lumber, reinforce what needs to be and give 'er Heck!!
Here in the damn S E Tx. Piney woods, last week a treated 2 x4 x 8ft was damn near $12. And that is at the yard right beside the mill that also treats it!
We can build sheds/garages out of steel cheaper than lumber and steel is up stupid also.
We can buy used 27/8 oil stem cheap enough.

Buy yourself a planer, and you'll save yourself big bucks, and have a superior wood. Following you progress, Sir!(Don't show pictures of the still, but I'll drive there for a sample.)

Rustic! That would be the theme!
I would use what is SOUND lumber, reinforce what needs to be and give 'er Heck!!
Here in the damn S E Tx. Piney woods, last week a treated 2 x4 x 8ft was damn near $12. And that is at the yard right beside the mill that also treats it!
We can build sheds/garages out of steel cheaper than lumber and steel is up stupid also.
We can buy used 27/8 oil stem cheap enough.
How much is the 2 7/8 oil stem pipe? How long is it? How hard is it to get?
I have a shed that needs rejuvenated also. It"s 24 x 40.

How much is the 2 7/8 oil stem pipe? How long is it? How hard is it to get?
I have a shed that needs rejuvenated also. It"s 24 x 40.
I have not priced any in over a year. usually 30 foot. $1 a foot. La stem is nasty though.
Might I add to find cheap drill stem around here you find some individual that came on a bunch cheap. The metal jockeys are out to make $$$$$$. Back in Ok and Mo there is Wheeler Metals that sells lots of used pipe and such. I saw where they are getting what was it??? $2.75 for 2 7/8??
For most garages, I say 2 3/8 is probably good. Unless a tornado hits and nothing survives!!
Now is not a good time to build ANYTHING!!

Last edited:
Buy yourself a planer, and you'll save yourself big bucks, and have a superior wood. Following you progress, Sir!(Don't show pictures of the still, but I'll drive there for a sample.)
Got one! (A planer that is… not a still… :D )

Looky here. You can get more done if you quit all the jabber jawin. lol

Lumber should be coming back down soon. At this point it’s just up because folks will pay it.

Yeah well… us Kentucky boys need to take breaks to talk it over every so often to make sure our thinkers are still thinking properly. :D
I know what you mean. We talk a lot in Georgia, too. lol

That doesn't look like a renovation so much as restart from scratch

-
Back