Sheet metal question.

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I am looking to by some sheet metal for my 72 Demon. Looking to get rear quarters and tail panel. I found some on ebay. Columbia parts and AMD and goodmark. Is there a difference in quality? I can buy a set of quarters from one place for 399 for both or from another place for 899. Big jump in pricing. I have been told AMD is good stuff. How about the made in tiawan stuff? I dont want to have fittment issues.

I can say that the amd stuff fits good and the goodmark stuff is a lil on the cheesy side but havent tryed the goodmark stuff for fitment yet

I am looking to by some sheet metal for my 72 Demon. Looking to get rear quarters and tail panel. I found some on ebay. Columbia parts and AMD and goodmark. Is there a difference in quality? I can buy a set of quarters from one place for 399 for both or from another place for 899. Big jump in pricing. I have been told AMD is good stuff. How about the made in tiawan stuff? I dont want to have fittment issues.

Of what I have heard, AMD is 2 guys that were let go of at Goodmark. They both use the same stamps in Taiwan, from what I hear.

Having installed both Goodmark and AMD I'd have to say spend a little more and go with AMD. Goodmark and AMD dont share stamps. AMD fits, Badmark doesnt. Pretty simple.

AMD doesn't list quarters for a 67 Barracuda. any one used Auto Body Specialties or Sherman Parts?

Having installed both Goodmark and AMD I'd have to say spend a little more and go with AMD. Goodmark and AMD dont share stamps. AMD fits, Badmark doesnt. Pretty simple.

Good to know first hand. Thanks. I am pretty sure that AMD is guys that were "let go" at Goodmark, like a sales director and sales manager, or something like that. I wonder where they get their stuff stamped at. Goodmark I have heard yeahs and nays, but very few from people that have actually used them...

This is a good thread...........

AMD doesn't list quarters for a 67 Barracuda. any one used Auto Body Specialties or Sherman Parts?

I used 2 patches and a trunk floor with extensions from Sherman. I cant tell you how bad the fit. By the time I was done unbending and rebending their parts I could have just made my own and it would have turned out better. :bootysha:

I used 2 patches and a trunk floor with extensions from Sherman. I cant tell you how bad the fit. By the time I was done unbending and rebending their parts I could have just made my own and it would have turned out better. :bootysha:

thanks, you may have just saved me some money!

AMD is the only company making correct gauge factory fit quarters.

I talked with the guys I bought my AMD quarters from for my Dart and they explained how they are made. They take a rust free car, remove the panel, then make a mold off of it, then they send the mold over sea's to get stamped out. The new panel is sent back and then installed on the car to make sure it fits and after it has been ok'd for fit and acuracy, production starts.

The ones listed at $399 for both sides are Taiwan junk, I believe the original maker is Leagend or something like that, they were the only ones you could get until AMD started making the good stuff, Year-One, Padock, Hardens, etc all sold them and I wouldn't buy anything from Sherman, you might as well through your money away and save the headaches.

I talked to a AMD dealer today about quarters for my 1967 Barracuda. Amd does not make full quarters for the Barracuda. He said he can get me skins and that all the skins are made by the same company. He specifically said that Goodmark, YearOne and Sherman's panel are the same. They come with three part numbers on them, one of each company. So now I'm not sure what to buy
sad30.gif

I would talk to AMD directly, AMD may not even make the quarters you are looking for yet, the dealer you talked to may just be trying to sell you whatever he has in stock to make a buck. If they don't make them, they may have them in the process and they would be worth the wait, especially if you care about the car you are working on.

AMD 1-866-591-8309

I have a set of the cheaper quarters for my Dart that I bought 10 years ago but I went ahead and forked out the $1000 bucks for the AMD quarters because they are so nice. I didn't see the point in wasting my time installing the cheaper ones when there are better ones available.

In my opinion, the quality of the car you end up with is a reflection of the quality of parts you use to build it.

I tried Paddock, and Year one, for a rear quarter, on my 70 Duster.
Both thin crap, not creased correct; cut both back off. Then I paid for AMD.
Correct gauge, and perfect. I don't know where they got the molds for stamping, but their trunk extensions even have the factory ripples, to let water exit. AMD is like factory.. Expensive, but worth the money; a lot less time, and Bondo.

I helped a friend install some sheet metal from Goodmark on a 79 Trans-am. These panels are their bread and butter. Every piece required cutting and refitting. I'm thinking if they can't produce their mainstream parts to a more exact standard than what we received I'm sure not interested in their stuff for Mopars.

AMD sheet metal also includes all the correct structural reinforcement ribbing in their replacement floors. Attention to detail. Even the spare tire well has the spare tire mounting bracket as well as the fuel tank support strap brackets welded in. Less cutting, fabricating and welding for us.

-
Back