She's a dying

-

64dartwagon

Walking in Circles
Reaction score
My rear is dying. It's a 8.25 with what gears I don't know. I think the last time at the track and buzzing one tire a couple of times the whole 1/4 might have somthin to do with it. As long as it will last till I put together my ferd 9". That's all that matters. Only reason for the ferd is availability and $$. Around here the M word = $$. The last mopar swap and show they had 8 3/4 a body housings they wanted $500. And they needed to be gone thru. I won't have to put that much into the ferd.

Any rearend will take a dump if you keep spinning one tire. When I was 16 I gernaded a dana 60 spinning only one tire. The spider gears and shaft are not designed to spin very fast for a long time, they are there to take of the difference in tire diameter or going around corners. There is nothing wrong with the 8 1/4 rearend. If you really want to save money just rebuild it with a suregrip. It will cost just as much to narrow a 9" as it would an 8 3/4.

Chuck

The 8 1/4 I have is two inches to wide to begin with. And I figured that if my trap speed was approx 90mph than that one side was spinning maybe double that. I think I'd die to. I was given a 9" housing along with a 3.50 locker center. And I picked up another center also with a 3.50 and locker, to sell off to cover costs. And when I go to any of the rear shops around here they give me that weird eyeball thing when I mention a 8.25. Or at that anything Mopar.

-
Back