Shift Cable Routing !!!!

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Hey guys...........

I just installed a custom fabricated shifter in the Dart Sport........

Long story short.....We had to use the Hurst 6 foot long cable due to the configuration.......we routed the cable across the transmission pan to save it from sharp bends or kinks, and used 7/16" black fuel line (hose) as a split conduit for an insulator.....it hugs the pan, and is secured with a fabricated aluminum bracket bolted up to the pan.

I want your opinion.........Do you guys think I'll be having any high temp issues with the cable jacket as a result? :read2:

Routing under the trans pan may lead to an access problem when changing fluid. Just make sure you have more than 3" from any exhaust components. 2"+ clearance and I melted mine.

Well, for changing the fluid, the entire cable loop swings out of the way, so it's not an issue.......

There are no headers on the car, BUT the cable comes within 2" of the exhaust pipe back by the tailshaft.......it's bracketed there, so it can't move, and again, I've insulated it with a section of the 7/16 fuel hose as a conduit......

I don't THINK it will be an issue, BUT you never know, especially in the Florida heat.....I'm just a bit more worried about the part that goes across the pan.........

The tranny shouldn't get more than 200 F so you should be OK. The sections of cable that ran very close to the trans showed no sign of heat distress, only the section that came whithin 2" of the primary tubes.

I'd keep an eye on that section in that comes close to the exhaust near the tailshaft. The exhaust isn't as hot as it is up at the primaries but still......

So is this a cable shift for your factory floor shifter? Probably not, but I'm looking for a way to cable shift my car. I'm putting a 518 in it and the stock linkage won't fit right. I thought I could cable shift it somehow.

Chris

-
Back