Shift Kit for a 727

-

Demon_Dan

Reaction score
have a TCI streetfighter 727 from a few years ago ..Circa 2004 or so ..its still in great shape but the actual shifts are leaving something to be desired since new ..they seem mushy and not exciting at all ..i want a shift that will skin 4 layers off my hindquarters when i step into it and hit 2nd gear...can anyone from experience point me to a nice shift kit to make this happen ? Thanks!

The Trans-go TF-2 kit is the best shift improver kit there is but the only problem is since yours already has a TCI kit in it that means the transfer plate was changed. That's the way TCI does it. The Trans-go shows you how to modify your stock transfer plate, along with changing springs, adding a spacer to the rear band servo, modifying a couple valves and adjusting the line pressure. To do it correctly you need a stock transfer plate and I don't know of a place that sells them. You'll probably just have to locate a used one. With the Trans-go kit installed and the accumulator blocked you'll have a pretty snappy shift. Not as quick as a manual valve body but as good as it gets with a stock valve body. That's what I have done to my trans. and barks them in 2nd real good and 3rd it don't bark em but is very solid. Of course I'm already going 80 when I hit 3rd so not many will bark them at that speed. The only other option to get a more performance oriented shift is to go with a manual valve body but that eliminates the automatic shift feature and you'll have to shift it yourself. If you do go that route make sure it has "low band apply". Most of the ones marketed today have this but a few still don't. Without low band apply it's a safety hazard on the street.

From a smallblock equipped early 70s van,the valve bodies are modified from the factory.There are some of the check balls removed from the factory,and a few of the holes in the valve body plate are drilled larger than a car valve body.The only thing you have to do to get the tirescreeching second,and third gear shifts,is to turn up the line pressure,drill 2 of the holes a little larger,and take out 2 more check balls.I did this to the tranny i pulled from a 73,3/4 ton van,was equipped with a 318 from the factory.My tranny has around 300,000 miles on it,and yes,it will still scratch second and third at wide open throttle!

I think it would be a whole lot easier to modify what he has than to replace the whole trans. Doing the modifications you suggest are dangerous. Transmission gear changes are a science and if modifications aren't done properly you'll get a poor working transmission. I've seen 727's wrecked before by guys doing home-brew stuff like that. Sometimes it might work. Sometimes.

Just a thought, but check the adjustment on your 2nd gear band. The factory adjustment specs are quite loose to give you a smooth shift. Add a shift kit (or valve body) and you can tighten up that adjustment. I spent 15 plus years with Chrysler rebuilding tranys in a dealership. There are many things that come into play when wanting a positive 2nd gear shift. Springs in the acumulator which activates the band, etc, not knowing what mods are in your trany the band adjusment seems to be the easiest thing to check.
Good luck!

this is the transmission i have ..

StreetFighter® Transmissions

The TCI® StreetFighter® transmission is tough enough to withstand the rigors of even the toughest street machines. It is ideal for vehicles powered by engines producing 450 horsepower with a non-supercharged system using pump gasoline. Equipped with our 100% tested, Manual/Automatic valve body, most units allow you to manually shift the vehicle into each gear change or, by placing it in the drive position, remain fully automatic. In either mode, you get a racetrack shift that bangs through the gears and shaves time off your ET's. When you use the manual gear selection feature, the StreetFighter® upshifts and downshifts right when you move the lever, with no lag or governor override. When you select the normal drive position, the transmission retains positive, automatic shifts for the ease of driving you look for in an automatic transmission.

The TCI® StreetFighter® transmission features: special clutches and bands, an improved lubrication system, new sprags/roller clutches, chrome-plated, TCI®-logo transmission pan, increased thrust capacity, higher line pressure for extra firm shifts & greater torque capacity with less slippage, as well as being TCI® factory blueprinted, inspected and dyno tested.

now point being ..why is it and has always shifted like a limp wrist if it claims snappy ?

Is the kickdown adjusted to the right setting? I have a TCI sizzler, and had almost too late and hard of shifts with the factory kickdown setting. I had to back it off a little to get the shifts sooner and a touch softer. No kickdown at all may cause it to be really mushy.

Kinda hard to guess. Does it kickdown into passing gear correctly? If not maybe the throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage needs to be adjusted. That affects shift firmness on Mopars. If that's not the problem maybe they forgot to do some mod on the valve body they were supposed to. Could also have not adjusted the front band correctly. Hate to tell you but I've seen several posts where guys had problems with TCI transmissions. That's why allot of guys say TCI stands for "turns to crap instantly".

But hey at least yours has lasted for a good while. That's a plus. I have read 3 posts in the last 4-6 weeks where guys bought new ones and they either wouldn't go at all or performed very poorly.

To set kickdown correctly, the throttle (upper) lever on the transmission must be all the way back to it's stop with the throttle wide open. You can add slack back into the linkage to soften shifts if need be, but be careful.

So, do you want a fast positive shift, or a screech-bang clunking lurch that will beat the crap out of your motor mounts u-joints and tranny?

Heck, you can always just crank the line pressure up all the way. Might cost you a couple MPG, but things will go bump in the night.

The only other option to get a more performance oriented shift is to go with a manual valve body but that eliminates the automatic shift feature and you'll have to shift it yourself.
It's not the manual shifting that's the problem, it's the full power shifts all the time while putting around.

Heck, you can always just crank the line pressure up all the way. Might cost you a couple MPG, but things will go bump in the night.
Too high and it could blow out the clutch piston lip seals. Maybe others too. It also stresses the torque converter lugs that engage the pump.

I won't argue that too much line pressure is a bad thing, hence the slightly facetious remark made above. Unfortunately, many cheap shift kits rely on this.

Many shift kits also give a "hard" shift instead of a "fast" shift. Excessive shock to the driveline will not make things better.

I've done the B&M thing and the DIY mods to the VB but on my most recent 727 I went with the TF-2 Kit. Quite happy with it. It has the option (stage) of going to full manual on the VB if you want.

As far as adjusting kickdown, the factory procedure that's been outlined is a good starting. Test and adjust, test and adjust (ie: 1/4" one way or another)to fine tune to your liking. Changes to the trans via a shift and line pressure adjustments will affect the shift point too so it's a balancing act.

Sorry to here you are having probs. with your TCI. Have a 904 street fighter in my barracuda & TCI's auto/manual valve body in my Valiant. Going on 4 yrs. for both & still work great. Shifts are firm when cruising & neck snapping when full bore. Have always adjusted kickdown the factory way like C130 Chief recommends. Then re-adjust slightly with more threads showing for more line pressure & less threads for less pressure. Be sure your carb. is opening fully with every adjustment. Have seen several cases were guys adjust for so much line pressure it prevents them from reaching full throttle & they wonder why their car has great shifts but is all of a sudden slower. Hope you have never run yours without a kickdown and never do it. Trans will be history very quickly. Good luck.

Oldschoolcuda

I agree with fishy, Trans-Fo, either the TF-2 or the TF-3 if you want full manual.

and TCI = Total Crap Inc.

-
Back