shift kit in 73-904 trans

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
has anybody put i shift kit in their 904 trans? just wondering how hard they are to install. thanks

No harder to install than a 727. I am guessing you want to make the transmission more durable, as opposed to thumping, banging and generally trying to tear itself out of its mounts. If thats the case, get a good one like a TransGo TF2. Skip the cheapo B&M.

i have never installed one in any trans before, just trying to save a little money by doing it myself. thanks

Spend the bucks ang get the ATG book for Torqueflites. Less than $20 at your local tranny parts jobber shop. Other than that, an inch-pound torque wrench and an 1/4" 8-point socket are a must. You will need to remove the valve body from the trans, but I can be done with the trans in the car. Other than that, cleanliness is far beyond godliness when I comes to the valve body. One spec of grit can screw things up. 2 cans of Gumout and an air hose will be your friends.

Get a new filter and gasket too.

thank you, my trans it out right now as luck would have it, i am getting a 360 built for my 73 duster, and we took both out at same time just seemed easier

Making it that much easier to replace the input and output seals as well.

BTW, how many miles are on the trans?

i think about 49000 original, car is from florida bought from original owners, i have complete documation from dealer to loan papers and all books that came with car. are the seals hard to put in i have never done them before, are they the ones located right on shaft? thanks

Just did mine with the TF-2. My biggest ***** was that the trans fluid must be flowing in from China....how do you get 15 quarts out of 8. LOL. It's not that hard if you take your time making sure everything is clean. After I ripped the valve body out and cleaned it...I did the conversion in the house. Follow the directions ensuring to read everything over first a "few times". If you have further questions...there's always someone one line to help. As stated...this will also give you a chance to view and change your shifter "O" ring seals ect.

-
Back