Shift Kit or Not?

-

Lee J

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I'd ask your opinion. Building 360 for mild performance. The engine should be around 375 hp. Eddy magnum heads, KB 232 pistons, stock rods with ARP bolts and ARP main bolts, with a Comp Cam XE-268,(218 @ .050 & [email protected] with .528 & .534 lift. Engine has been balanced and set up for .045 quench with CR 9.75. This going in 3000 lbs car.

I need to order my transmission, I can't decide with a 727 if I should have a shift kit installed. The car is going to be a cruiser and not raced. I don't know if a stock trans will slip much with this much hp.I plan on purchasing a Cope trans but I'm unfamiliar with how hard this will shift in normal driving. Just don't want something that will bang every shift if I'm just cruising. John suggested a mild stall around 2500 rpm. So what do you guys think?

All opinions welcome, thanks again.

All the shift kit will do is make tge shifting points more faster and firm I think you should

Cope will supply you with much more than a shift kit. I'm pretty sure they can build a 727 any way you want.

There are different stages of shift kits. Towing, firm deliberate shifts and all out race. If you have no plans of racing it, then I would say you don't need one. If you do want firmer shifts then a Transgo TF-2 would be sufficient for the street and mild racing should you change your mind. It will however give your shifts a more positive feel. I guess it all depends on what you want.

A stock 727 will hold up fine behind that horsepower.

Personally i would ..
Tell them what you would like they can set it up so its not annoying to drive in rush hour traffic and such.

Crisp but not harsh... but when you walk on it you wanna have a nice firm shift.

I put the Transgo TF-2 in everything I work on. Firms things up nice but not annoying either. If cope does it for you they can make it behave like the TF-2 is in it.

Even a completely stock vehicle would benefit from a shift kit in my opinion. It's not just for race applications and can also benefit the longevity of the transmission and its internal components.

As mentioned John will set it up for the way you tell him you want to drive it. For what your doing all that is needed is some minor modifications that don't require an actual shift improver kit. Like the way I'd set up a taxi or police car trans. If you do choose to go with a shift improver kit a Trans-go TF-1 will firm up the shifts nicely.

BTW: as far as a 375 hp engine making your trans. slip, unless the trans. has a problem that won't occur. Also note that a loose converter softens the shifts somewhat so don't be afraid that a mild kit will make it shift too firm for you.

You guys are great! It sounds like it's pretty unanimous. That's what I'm after is a crisp shift that's not annoying but a nice firm shift under power. I also like Fishy's comment that a looser converter will also soften it a little. I will also talk to John and take his recommendation on what he thinks.

Thanks Again! Lee

I spoke with John today and ordered my transmission! Nice guy, and I'm confident that I'll love it! I'm glad for these forums because that's where I heard raves about John and his transmissions.

Thanks Again!

-
Back