shift kits

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
well....i decided what i'l ldo....
until I have a bigger, badder mill, i'll run the stock 727, but with a shift kit...i THINK i may get into the 12s with the 400/.509/torker/3.91, and don't think i really need a new tranny yet

I got a B&M holeshot 3000 and flexplate, and figure i'll go with a shift kit in the current tranny, then step up to a better tranny and converter when I NEED it....

but i don't know what kit to get or what else i need to consider doing....
the B&M Transpak is $54 and i'd go "hi-performance street"

TCI has the Trans-scat for $55

and then Trans-go has their kit for $117, but i haven't looked up any info on it

I know you sell "TF-_" kits, Chris, so you're probably biased, but that's ok. those are the trans-go kits, right?

anyway....someone bias me toward something.....

If you want a kit and not an entire pre built Valve body the Trans-go is the best. I had a the full manual valve body in my 70 Cuda. Worked great.

i havent tried anything other than the Transgo TF2 kit but it was a god kit with shifts that you can realy feel..
i liked the instukctions that was in it and it wasnt realy hard to install it just took some time and thinking twice to be sure i did it right...

Hey green67,

I agree that the transgo kits are better than the B&M and TCI kits. Biased? Nah .. I just prefer to provide my customers with quality products for the $ they're spending. :salut: .

Who quoted you $117? And what kit was it? Have you looked on my site?

Let me know! :thumleft:

i see you have the TF-2 for $70.....Summit has the transgo kit for 117....but it's PN: TFOD-518....dunno, but it says it's for the torqueflite

guess i'll probably get your kit....

now how bout other things i really need to do for the current application???

I just put a TF2 kit in my 727, and it was real easy, I mean easy because I've never even seen inside a tranny before, the instructions are real clear. Unfortunately I won't be able to use it till my car's done, can't wait!!

i've done trannies and kits before, but just on Fords, being naturally blue.....this is my first mopar, and althought the basics are the same, there are some specifics for which i have to rely on others....

that's what i figured (with the "518" in the part number), but it lists the 727 as an application.....i've seen them do things like that before....

hey, chris...i saw on the TF-3 post that has been getting some attention that mikel got a servo piston too.....do i need one??

also....do you sell orange (40 tooth) speedo gears??? how much?

thanks

green67cuda said:
that's what i figured (with the "518" in the part number), but it lists the 727 as an application.....i've seen them do things like that before....

hey, chris...i saw on the TF-3 post that has been getting some attention that mikel got a servo piston too.....do i need one??

also....do you sell orange (40 tooth) speedo gears??? how much?

thanks

Hey green67,

Mikel got a complete valve body that requires the billet piston. They are recommended when using higher then stock pressure.

Let me know on the trans-go kit before you order anywhere else as you would get a F.A.B.O member discount through me.

No problem on 40 tooth speedo gear ..list is $15.95

HTH's :salut:

and the transgo kit does or doesn't use higher pressure????

either way, i think I am ready to order the TF-2 kit, the speedo gear, and whatever else I may require

green67cuda said:
and the transgo kit does or doesn't use higher pressure????

either way, i think I am ready to order the TF-2 kit, the speedo gear, and whatever else I may require

Well, line pressure will vary with the application and weight of the vehicle. Generally the reverse manual VB's, and the trans-brake valve bodies will have 160-210 psi of line pressure. In this case the billet piston kit is recommended. Your pressure is adjustable, and easy to check with a transmission pressure gauge in the L/R servo test port with the trans in low.

HTH's :salut: :thumleft:

:scratch:
so the TF-2 kit is a reverse manual kit??

no....it's a forward manual/auto kit right??
in which case i wouldn't need a servo piston since the reverse and manual kits raise the pressure......????????

oh, and do you also have the seal/gasket kits for the speedo gear?

OH.....i see what you're saying......with the reverse/manual kits it IS a good idea, but on mine it's adjustable, so it depends on the setting.....GOTCHA.....sooooo....for my application what's your recommendation for line pressure setting with the TF-2 kit, do I need a different lever, and for that setting, do I need the piston?

and thank you for helping

The TF-2 is full auto, forward patern. The TF-3 is full manual forward pattern.

green67cuda said:
OH.....i see what you're saying......with the reverse/manual kits it IS a good idea, but on mine it's adjustable, so it depends on the setting.....GOTCHA.....sooooo....for my application what's your recommendation for line pressure setting with the TF-2 kit, do I need a different lever, and for that setting, do I need the piston?

and thank you for helping

Hey green67,

I would set it up per the trans-go instructions, and then check your line pressure. The billet piston would be overkill. And yes, Adam is correct, all trans-go kits are forward pattern auto-shift, with the exception of the tf-3 and the new OD kit, which are manual.

-
Back