Shift linkage troubles!

-

Thrasher

YoungestMemberUALocal7
Reaction score
I have a 72 swinger that used to have a 904 column shift that I switched over to a 727. Should the linkage and that linkage mount that bolts on to the trans be the same? I have it all in there and it doesn't seem to add up :angry5: Very frustrating

Should be the same, which pieces don't look right?
The piece of iron with a plastic grommet that the linkage should insert in to. Kinda hard to explain for me... the linkage that bolts to the frame of the car, and the other end should go on a mount that bolts to the case. The mount that was on the 904 will not work on the 727. I can't find a picture of one on the internet, and I don't have a camera :-k

Some of the parts are different on the 904 and 727.
Which parts are not interchangeable?

I have a fresh built 727, shift kit and all. I was going to do the same swap as you, so I looked into the linkage, and found out there are some differences. The exact difference I am not sure, but do know there are some differences.
I think you have found one of them with the frame to trans linkage.

The linkage out of a A-body 340/727 is what is needed.

Wish I could be more help.
I just decided I am going with the 904 on this build, since I have all the parts for it..

The piece of iron with a plastic grommet that the linkage should insert in to. Kinda hard to explain for me... the linkage that bolts to the frame of the car, and the other end should go on a mount that bolts to the case. The mount that was on the 904 will not work on the 727. I can't find a picture of one on the internet, and I don't have a camera :-k

Which parts are not interchangeable?

I know what you're talking about, I had to ziptie mine around the bolt hole where the mount should go... not ideal, but it seems to work.. still looking for a better solution though.

-j

-
Back