Shift Point

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What should your shift point be if your engine makes peak torque at 5100 rpm and peak horsepower at 6100 rpm? 417 stroker backed by a 727 in a 69 dart drag only car

I would try shifting about 2 or 300 above peak HP. That let's the engine fall back into the range of peak torque, so you keep the converter loaded at all times. All this keeps the multiplication high and the trans input shaft spinning as fast or faster than the engine, hopefully! I'm assuming an automatic?

trial and error is what it will take to get it right. There is not one right answer here.

if you peak 6100 and then the HP drop like a rock.....you had better be shifting sooner the 6100.

If the peak HP fall slowly, then running above peak might be advantageous.

shift 500 before beak, make 3 runs, shift 500 higher and see what your ET slip tells you.

Horse power only drops 11 hp all the way to 6800 rpm

If you're trying for faster and faster times, I'd probably keep pushing it until you level off or slow down, engine willing. :D

If I was looking for bracket consistency and less wear and tear. I'd probably shoot for something in the 6000/6200 range, and run what it runs.

Consistent 60's will always be your friend when trying to go rounds.

I'm a big fan of chassis dyno runs and doing all gears dyno pulls.
What you are going to find out is that your engine dyno numbers are going to be different
Than when you strap on your trans and rear end then your tire's.
Then factor in your different gear ratio's in your trans=torque multipyler.

When you do the all gear chassis pull you'll get your numbers for each gear and you can go from there to optimize you shifts.

-
Back