Shifter adjustment

-

fishman

Reaction score
I have a hurst pro-matic 2 w/ a 727. I'm having problems getting it adjusted right. If i get it to hold 1st gear like it should it won't click to neutral like it should. I have to lift up on it and that ani't right. It should ratchet from 3rd to neutral. I have adjusted like they tell me to in the instructions just cant find the happy medium. Anyone using this shifter or have any suggestions? I guess I should have ased a quater stick, The only reason I went with this is I modifided a console that it will work in. Any help would be great.

i am not familar w/ that shifter....does it say adjust to 1st gear or park......I know B&M shifters, I have installed a few of them w/ no problems at all..Are they the same as adjustments ???just talking out loud....don't take this the wrong way...you really don;t want it to go into neutral too easy do ya.....Try adjusting so it just goes into park and doesn;t jump out, try to crank...then try shifting back to Neutral and try to crank it...if cranks you must be close...try the other deal w/ neutral...if it doesn't work you must go afraction one way or other. GET SOME ONE TO HELP TO CRANK IT... Good luck...post the directions on here

I think he`s lost the directions to the shifter but I remember him saying to start adjusting at 1st gear with a special note that some FORD and CHRYSLER products would need to be adjusted starting from neutral.

I usually have the best results adjusting them starting at neutral. Then fine tuning them if needed so they engage in park and 1st properly.

Man, I had the same exact problem. Make sure you've used the Chrysler Shifter arm (that goes on the trans) and is supplied in the kit. If you use the stock one, or the incorrect one it won't put the cable end out far enough, and it won't throw the arm all the way through properly. Good Luck! I've lived the problem, and it's a pain. But it's fixable.

Man, I had the same exact problem. Make sure you've used the Chrysler Shifter arm (that goes on the trans) and is supplied in the kit. If you use the stock one, or the incorrect one it won't put the cable end out far enough, and it won't throw the arm all the way through properly. Good Luck! I've lived the problem, and it's a pain. But it's fixable.

That's right. The arm they send with the shifter changes the ratio. The stock arm won't work properly.

Thanks guys i'll try starting the adjustment in neutral. I sure I have the right arm on there. I took the factory one off the others that came with it were so different it was ovious which one to use. Thanks again Tom

To make sure you have good travel adjust the cable in Park then unhook it and adjust the cable in first. You want the cable swivel to slide in and out of the trans shifter arm without forcing it in park and first. This is going to be full travel of the cable and trans arm. If it is binding it will cause problems.

Oh yea , Make sure cable is looped properly over/under trans....I think under....Make sure you put the dust cover on trans also...it will cut cable on flywheel...not that I have everdone that LOL..stay calm and grab acouple beers

-
Back