Shifter boot / Bezel Help.

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm changing my 3 spd, rubber mat floor to carpet and 4 spd pistol grip.. I'm stumped on how this goes together. I was told by Brewer's that the rubber boot goes under the carpet, but that doesn't seem to look or work right. The rubber boot fits like a glove into the bezel out of the car, but if the boot goes under the carpet, it won't go together that way. Also, I thought I saw somewhere a long time ago that there was an oval gasket that went down under the boot, but Brewer's says no.
Some guidance would be greatly appreciated..!!

20230614_180507.jpg

20230614_180532.jpg

Boot and bezel over the carpet.
Now with that said I would put down some sealant between carpet and the floor. The carpet hanging between will wick water if any gets up there from underneath.

Your missing the ring that holds the boot under the carpet with 4 button head screws on the corners. then the other ring holds the carpet with the other 4 chrome tapered headed screws. Also all the repro humps solde need to be welded up in the rear . That notch they put in them was an error.. If you don't weld a piece in there the back screw will not have a hole. These were made using a donor for a copy and the donor was cut for an after market shifter. The indent in the front means it was a 71 . This hump indent was for placement for a Floor mount cassette

1686796976442.png

100_0099.JPG

Your missing the ring that holds the boot under the carpet with 4 button head screws on the corners. then the other ring holds the carpet with the other 4 chrome tapered headed screws. Also all the repro humps solde need to be welded up in the rear . That notch they put in them was an error.. If you don't weld a piece in there the back screw will not have a hole. These were made using a donor for a copy and the donor was cut for an after market shifter. The indent in the front means it was a 71 . This hump indent was for placement for a Floor mount cassette

View attachment 1716102726

View attachment 1716102724
I called Brewer's again today.. Asked them about the ring that holds the boot down to the floor, and she told me I was wrong...that it doesn't use one...and you clearly have one there pictured. I don't get it.

I don't know? I have 2 here and just put one in Todds barracuda. I clearly remember my cars having that ring when I bought them in the 70's.. If you took the carpet out the boot stayed screwed to the floor with the bottom ring. These rings I have are for an A-body the boot is a different diameter then other bodies. They also fit over the rubber boot perfectly and when tightened seal the boot evenly to the floor. Otherwise what would hold the boot in place just the heads of the screws on the rubber at the corners.

You all need to think about it.

Unless I am shown another way to seal the boot to the floor and not rely on the chrome boot over the carpet , I'll keep using the lower ring that mine came with.

I believe some boots may have that ring built in. Mine don't. I wouldn't know if the after markets do , I never had to buy one yet. I still have originals

-
Back