shifter cable drives me mad - heat pbm`?

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
next question...

hi folks... just wanna ask some questions about the shifter cable thing on early B´cudas.
the problem i get every summer is: if the car heatens up (after driving one hour or so) i´m "loosing my gears" what means, P is out of the reach in the consol shifter, N is where R should belong and R is where P should be, D is at the place of N etc....´
i´d adjusted the cable concerning to the manual, (stick it in, pull it out [oh my god
teeth.gif
] 5th hole in the wheel etc. if the the car is cold everything is allright, car starts in P and N and D,2,1 are where they should be.

If i get on the Highway (Autobahn) and drive it for some time. I will get the problem a.m.

curios - if it cools down, it will get back to the former adjustment, but not completely, R and N are still slightly out of the proper position then.

All you 65Cuda drivers outhere, have you got similar problems, if so how did you solve it ?

is my cable to old, worn out, do i need a new one from Imperial Services (200 Dollars
crap.gif
) is there another source for a new shifter cable.

is it simply an overheating problem (cable routed not far enough away from exhaust) and can be solved wraping something around the cable to isolate it.

thanks for helping

I would try splitting fuel line hose down the side slipping it over the cable and zip tying it. If it works you answered your own question and if not youre only out a few dollars.

I had a similar problem in a 64 Barracuda. The cable had stretched out of adjustment just enough that the heat from expansion caused it to be just enough longer to not be able to select the correct gear. When the temperature was cool it would pull it to the next detent and it would shift fine. I adjusted the cable a little tighter and the problem was solved. Hope adjustment will work for you.....

Is this a B+M shifter cable, regardless get underneath and check that the plastic coating isn't melted or going soft. The covering holds the inner wire wrap together which will seperate allowing the shifter cable itself to come out through the wire wrap and throw your adjustments out of wack.

Is this a B+M shifter cable, regardless get underneath and check that the plastic coating isn't melted or going soft. The covering holds the inner wire wrap together which will seperate allowing the shifter cable itself to come out through the wire wrap and throw your adjustments out of wack.

no - no B+M, it ´s the original part

It is a hard plastic housing, and if it is getting hot, it gets stretchy and you lose the rigidity therefore control. Try insulating it or isolating it with a heat shield to see if that solves it.

short up-date.... i´ve insulated the cable with a spliced fuel hose and some special heat reflecting tape (used in AC-business) - it´s way better, but if it´s getting really hot outside and i do make trips about 200 or more kilometers on the German Autobahn, it´s still getting out of the former adjustment. Concerning the adjustment, seem´s my cable is beeing worn out so far, that a proper adjustment will not be possible. No chance to get the shifter in the right places, if D,2,1 are correct, then P,R,N are out of adjustment. so i decided to cry half an hour ... and ordered a new shifting cable from Imperial Services (hope i will get it soon - and hopefully it will be worth the 200 Dollars they will get)

-
Back