shifter linkage leak

-

aduesling

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 340 4 speed dart... I have a leak on what my mechanic says is where the shifter linkage comes out of the tranny.... a very small seal I suspect, but I am asking what is involved with replacing it? He is unsure, and dont want to remove the whole tranny to figure it out if there is an easy fix... any ideas? I also had one on the reverse light switch/sensor... replaced it and eliminated leak, but the other has me stumped... any advice to get rid of this annoyance would be great... thanks, AD

There are o-rings behind the shift forks, have to remove the cover to get to it, easy. The bottom rod is harder to get to.

This may help....

4Speed.jpg

I am in the process of resealing the reverse shift lever( the lowest lever)and all the others, you have to remove the side cover, reverse idler shaft and gear, but to remove the reverse idler the tail shaft housing has to come off. It is actually pretty easy! I removed the tailshaft housing with the main shaft still attached so I could replace the synchros. you can do it! Get a manual for your car and it is pretty detailed! Jared

and yes the transmission needs to come out, this is not somthing you want to do under the car. needs to be on a bench! The trans mount is connected to the rear tailshaft housing also. Sucks that you have to go through all that work for an o-ring! I got a kit with side,tailshaft, front and rear seals, and the 3 shifter arm o-rings for about 50 bucks off e-bay. Good luck, Jared

-
Back